Simultaneous users on wiFi

Mr. Chips 17:59 08 Aug 14

I have done something that turns out to be a stupid move.

I had some spare Cat6 cable and ran an ethernet cable from a BT business hub to a large room twenty yards away. (All free of charge) I setup a spare Netgear wireless dual band 4 port wifi router. I think it is a DGND3700v2 (the one without the DSL connection).

They have now come to me asking me to confirm that it will manage 25 simultaneous users (it seems they want to set up a school room!). They also want it to have a backbone speed of no less than 1Gbps back to the router/switch.

They want me to sign off on a bit of paper saying that this is possible. ... I shan't do this, of course, but I am intrigued to know what the possibilities of meeting this spec are, with the equipment as described.

If anyone has an opinion that they are happy to share, I would be eternally grateful

(They also want an Internet connection which should be running at a speed no lower than 10Mbps download and 1Mbps upload. ... i don't think this is a problem)

wiz-king 18:53 08 Aug 14

It will depend on what they are intending to do. If they are doing mainly work on pc's but looking things up on the web you may be ok but if they try streaming video it will all grind to a halt. I would say no chance.

Mr. Chips 20:11 08 Aug 14

I can see that large downloads would be problem. I wonder whether the system could cope with 25 users at one time under any circiumstnaces.

Woolwell 20:39 08 Aug 14

Thought that this was a useful thread Whirlpool net.

Suspect that there could well be interference between devices. Problem is going to be bandwidth.

alanrwood 16:45 09 Aug 14

If they want 25 users each with a d/l of 10Mb/s simultaneously and using WiFi then they are living in an internet daydream.

Mr. Chips 20:14 09 Aug 14

I can see that large downloads would be problem. I wonder whether the system could cope with 25 users at one time under any circiumstnaces.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now