The Sims 2

honeysuckle 12:00 27 Jan 05

I have just purchased The Sims 2 .It seems to be running very slowly and I think I need to update my graphics card. I have a Mesh Matrix 2200 2 years old. Can anyone suggest a good grapics card that won't bankrupt me

scotty 12:13 27 Jan 05

Surprised you are having problems. My daughter runs SIMS2 on a 1GHz pc with 4 year old nVidia GeForce2 MX 32Mb graphics card. Not familiar with the game but it might be worth checking the Options menu to see if you can change the resolution. You may be better running it at say 800 x 600 resolution (if this is an option).

ACOLYTE 12:52 27 Jan 05

I have read other people seem to have problems with this game running xp,not always the same ones,missing DLL files and the like.Try turning background apps off before running it.

ACOLYTE 13:02 27 Jan 05

Maybe this site may help click here

TomJerry 13:31 27 Jan 05

my daughter also play The Sims 2, it is not very demanding game, so it is not slow when you actually play it on a slow machine, the only problem is that it takes time to load, but I think this problem has nothing to do with graphics card or CPU speed

a faster HDD may help, but donot think it will improve much

TomJerry 13:33 27 Jan 05

ATI 9600 Pro £56.24 click here

Modo 13:43 27 Jan 05

You may have to rephrase your question and be non Sims2 specific & post again.

I am not too hot on this area but I think the issue is going to be one connecting memory and virtual memory and related areas. As the other guys say the game isn't very graphix intensive but it does seem to be dependent on accessing a huge payload of data off your hard disk.

It gets played on four different computers in our house ranging from P3 1 Ghz with 512 Mb with an old 64Mb grafix card through to a P4 3.4Ghz with 512 and a 6800 grafix . BUT it is noticably quicker on a P4 2.8 with 1024 but only after it was upgraded to a 250Mb SATA hdd with 8Mb buffer with all the paging swap files running off the old hard drive.

Long winded conclusion it ain't your grafix card. Look at what else you've got running in the background on your computer. I think the bottleneck is accessing the hard drive quickly enough.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…