simplest way to transfare data PC & Laptop

mark e 16:49 12 Sep 03

can anyone advise me of the best way to do this with very large files ie: over 900Mb

Thanks
Mark

graham√ 16:58 12 Sep 03

Re-writable CD springs to mind.

sdf 17:02 12 Sep 03

either of the computers got NIC cards?

mark e 17:02 12 Sep 03

Thanks graham√
But would that not involve splitting files (out of my league)

Any other Ideas please
Mark

mark e 17:03 12 Sep 03

Whats an NIC card

Mark

Smiler 17:06 12 Sep 03

What files are so big?

You could zip the files then put them on a cdRW as graham?√ states

mark e 17:10 12 Sep 03

I have lots of old cine film and home video files that are taking up 50 of my 60GB drive.

JMG 17:14 12 Sep 03

NIC (Network Interface Card) or just a network card. To back up data between a PC and for example another PC or Laptop. They are very cheap (about a tenner), easy to install, and will allow you to transfer data from one PC to another, in effect you would use tyhe second PCs Hard Disk as a backup device. Both PCs require a card and a crossover cable to link them. Other solutions could be a DVD RW (many modern drives now support all the formats available and will also do CDRW) the data which can be stored is way in excess of the 900MB files you specify.

Also, tape drives, separate Hard drives (LaCie do a good range), the list is endless. Or you can compress the data and stuff it on a humble CDRW, XP has compression tools but Winzip will also compress the data providing that it is not already a precompressed format.

Hope this helps.

sdf 17:16 12 Sep 03

ouch - thats quite a bit of transfering. Either of them have Network cards? if so just plug a lead between them and transfer at 100mbps. Regarding Zipping in my experience I would stear clear of compressing multimedia stuff like that. has a habit of corrupting the files and the amount of time taken to zip the files vs the amount of compression I would just (if you can) transfer the files the way I sugested

mark e 17:20 12 Sep 03

Many Thanks all its time to free the moths once again and go shopping

Mark

sdf 17:23 12 Sep 03

take a look at this - its the one I use and cant fault it!! click here really hope this link works!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…