Simple USB Hub Question

Big Trev 00:10 03 Sep 03

I wish to purchase a USB Hub and believe one of those that fits into the spare 3.5" floppy drive socket on the front of my PC case is favourite. However I don't really want to forego one of the existing USB ports at the rear of the PC to plug in a hub as this would result in wires trailing out of the front of the PC for permanently connected hardware such as the printer and internet connection.

Are there any 3.5" Internal USB hubs that do not require plugging into an existing USB port? Or would I have to buy a USB hub card and have to fiddle around at the back of the PC to connect and disconnect things?

Djohn 00:20 03 Sep 03

Some motherboards have a USB connector on them, if you look in your manual, or post the make/model of your board, someone will be able to advise. What you are trying to achieve can be done from the Motherboard or from a PCI card, this will give you 2 extra ports at the rear and 2 at the front by using one of the drive bays, all wiring will be internal. j.

Nosmas 00:37 03 Sep 03

Have a look at ebuyer's site click here - first item @ £10.53 plus VAT and P&P is very good value. This is now slightly cheaper than when I bought mine in June.

Also it is USB2 which is much faster than USB1. It is described as 2 ports (on the PCI card) and 3 ports on the front bay (which is where you would like to fit it), but mine actually had 4 ports on the front. Read the reviews and you will see others have also received the 4 port variety. Fitting the PCI card into a spare slot inside the machine and connecting the supplied ribbon cable from the PCI card to the front tray is absolutely no problem and only takes a few minutes (also confirmed in the reviews).

Go for it!!

Big Trev 12:44 03 Sep 03

Djohn - my mother board is a GA-7IXE4, and the manual would suggest it does have a USB connector.

I like the look of the hub Nosmas suggests though.

Thanks to both.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…