Simple Server

Sebby 17:27 31 Jan 08

Here's the situation: we are a small business with just a few computers. However, there are perhaps 5-10 users, and at the moment these users are just manually created on each computer (running XP).

We are getting a couple more computers and creating the same users on each computer is not ideal (it's inefficient, if they change their password it only does it on a single PC, etc).

We don't want a server to host files - we have a Buffalo LinkStation doing that.

What we'd like is to maybe to setup a very simple server that is used just to authenticate users' logins, then maybe run a script to map their directory on the LinkStation, and make the location of My Document this network drive.

The only issue is their email accounts in Outlook 2003 - these are IMAP so there's no issue regarding data files, but how would this work?

As you can probably tell, I have absolutely no idea about how such a system would work, but I know what I want it to achieve, so I was hoping that you guys can help me out and point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance. :-)

howard64 17:37 31 Jan 08

The answer is in the router/server that you use to connect to the net and your network. I have worked in organisations that have this equipment and once up and running anyone that your system knows about can log in from any pc they happen to be using. Unfortunately I do not know the name of such a system or what prog it has to have running. I am sure other people on here can point you in the right direction though.

Sebby 21:37 31 Jan 08

Anyone?

Sebby 21:48 31 Jan 08

Is there anywhere that I can get more information?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now