Simple search script required

murgle 21:20 29 Feb 04

Does anybody know where I can find a script that allows a webpage to jump to a certain set of text by clicking a button. Something similar as seen on Help pages where the button is named a question and when clicked the page moves to the answer on that page.

Many thanks.

Taran 22:30 29 Feb 04

In FrontPage, if you have a long page of text, you highlight a bit of text you want to jump to, click on Insert, then click on Bookmark. Either accept the default text that is in the pop-up box [this will be the text you highlighted to begin with] or type in a relevant name. Click OK.

Now set a hyperlink onto an image or text of your choice. Near the top of the page. When you click the hyperlink button on the FrontPage toolbar, near the bottom left corner of the pop-up window is a drop down called Bookmark:

Select the bookmark you insterted previously as you target for the hyperlink.

Job done. If someone at the top of the page wants to jump to a section near the bottom, you can use bookmarked links to take them there in the blink of an eye. You can also assign a bookmark to the link at the top, with a link called something along the lines of

^^Back to top^^ stationed at the section of the page your visitor jumped to.

So,

1. Bookmark a target to jump to

2. Hyperlink to it

3. Bookmark the link you made in step 2 or a word/image next to it on the page

4. Hyperlink to it to return to the top or that section of the page.

If you want to run a dedicated search script post to that effect, but bookmarks are an easy way to manage jumps to a section of a long page and back again.

Taran 22:33 29 Feb 04

I should have added that you can create a bookmarked link to a section of a different page to the link you are clicking.

Say you have a Frequently Asked Questions section of your site. You can either run it as one long page divided by bookmarked links for quick navigation, or you could reference your home page banner if you like, and you could create a link from faq.html to index.html#name_of_bookmark

So you can target a bookmark on any page, from a link on any other page.

I know what I mean even if you don't !

;o)

murgle 07:44 01 Mar 04

Thanks Taran, it worked a treat. I'm going to add the bookmark to the stock pages to allow customers to subsribe to our mailing list which wil be at the bottom of each stock page.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…