Simple networking questions

The Belarussian Mafia 14:19 04 Jan 05

1) Can an AMD processor-based PC be networked to an Intel system?

2) Is a gigabit LAN connection needed for playing 3-d games across a network?

3) Does this type of gameplay slow a PC down (i.e. do you need a higher spec PC than for just playing a game on a single PC?

4) Does the LAN suck a significant amount of power from the PC power supply during gameplay (i.e. is there a minimum spec for the power supply)?

5) I've seen a Win 98 PC networked with an XP PC - is this configuration OK for playing games?

Maverick81 14:23 04 Jan 05

1) Networking isnt CPU specific, and is designed to be cross platform, so yes you can network a AMD system to a Intel one.

2) Gigabit isnt required for 3d gaming, you will probably find that 100mb is fine for gaming, think of it this way when you play on line you play on a smaller connection the 100mb.

3)It doesnt really slow a system down playing on a LAN

4)The LAN socket will be using power from your motherboard regardless of whether or not its being used.

5)There is nothing stopping you playing games on Windows 98 against someone on Windows XP

Hope this helps

Cheers, Mav

The Belarussian Mafia 14:34 04 Jan 05

Maverick81 Many thanks. Out of interest: just what is the faster LAN for? Is it more for linking several PCs at once, perhaps?

Maverick81 14:53 04 Jan 05

Gigabit lan is primarily used in large networks to transport large amounts of data between servers

Wired networking comes in three flavours

10 is fine for gaming (although a little slow)
100 is good enough for gaming and fairly large
1000mb is used primarily in servers but is catching on fast with home users.

Hope this helps

Cheers, Mav

The Belarussian Mafia 14:54 04 Jan 05

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…