simple networking problem (maybe?)

rickd 19:24 30 Oct 06

I tried posting this on the networking forum, but everyone seems asleep over there, so apologies...
I am setting up a network using a ZyXEL 600 router and 2 PC's running XP home (sp2). Both are wired to the router and both can access the internet no probs. I've turned on file and printer sharing, turned on document sharing, run the networking wizard (many times) turned off windows firewall, added (i think) the computers to Nortons trusted zones (and now turned Norton off), checked that the workgroup name is the same on both computers and they each have different names. I've checked that the networking connections are set to auto. Rebooted.
However, nothing shows up in My Network Places, I can't see the files on the other PC and I can't print from the computer that's not physically attached to the printer.
What am I doing wrong (probably something stupid!)? I have successfully networked these 2 PC's before with a different router
I checked the event logger and I seem to get a series of DCOM errors (10020 and now 10016) each time I boot.

dms05 19:33 30 Oct 06

DCOM Error 10020

Take a look at click here

rickd 19:47 30 Oct 06

yup, I searched on that too, but not sure what Should put in. Local Access seems to be ticked in all cases, but will check on other PC

rickd 06:48 31 Oct 06

It seems I couldn't connect this PC to the network 'cos a PC of the same name already existed on the network (yes, this one!), so I just renamed it and it connected!
I guess when I installed the new router the PC was somehow assigned a new IP so I had 2 PCs with the same name but different addresses???

dms05 09:57 31 Oct 06

Guess you are right!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…