Simple networking...

hoodlums 08:40 28 May 04

Hi please bare with me.. I have an NTL 512k. I have A win2kpro pc a win2kserver pc and a XP Pro laptop. Last night I set up my router so the laptop could access the web without the need for another pc to be on.. all is good.

I want to set up a mini domain just for the server and win2k pc's (i'm starting networking course). The L/top will need to see the Win2k desktop on occassion but does not want to be part of the domain. Is it possible for the two Win2k machines to be in a domain and have the laptop as part of a workgroup?

This is probably all a bit vague but any advice would help.
Many thanx
Hoodlums

Sir Radfordin 09:15 28 May 04

AFAIK if you put the laptop into a workgroup with the same name as the domain then it will be seen but you will not be able to use features of a domain such as controlling access to shares with the laptop.

...and if anyone else is reading this then remember XP Home can't be joined to a domain!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…