Simple Network solution please

Justabitbaffled 14:11 07 Nov 05

I have two computers; one running XP pro (for business use) the second running windows ME (likely to be changed in the next 6 months or so) and used by the children / wife for internet browsing.
Connection to internet is via BT broadband connection and USB modem.
To avoid constantly swapping the USB lead (palying on dad's machine is strictly taboo) I am considering a simple network.
The machines are close to one another so I would prefer a hard wired (ethernet?) and I guess faster option.
In simple terms what would I need? (I think the XP machine has LAN ports available)and would the cable solution be expandable as the children grow up and require their own machines?
Would the main (XP) machine need to be switched on for the second machine to gain internet access?

Forum Editor 14:30 07 Nov 05

your solution is pretty straightforward.

1. Buy a combined ADSL modem/router. Although you don't plan a wireless network now, you might find it useful in the future. Your children will grow, and have laptops, and want to use them in their rooms. Buy a BT voyager 2110 ADSL modem/router and you can have both wired and wireless access.

2. Plug the router into your BT phone socket (the one your present modem is using).

3. Connect it to your computer using the LAN cable supplied - you can plug the cable into any of the four LAN ports on the back of the router.

4. Go through the setup procedure as per the makers' instructions - it will be very simple.

5. Watch the router make the connection to the BT server.

6. Connect up to three more computers to the router using ordinary LAN cables plugged into the computers' network cards.

That's it - all the computers will be able to access the internet independently, without the need for another machine to be running. The router will automatically connect to the internet whenever you switch it on. Don't leave it permanently turned on, it's not good practice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…