simple network internet sharing problem.. mayb!

theDarkness 15:56 21 Oct 06

ive tried to share my internet connection with a device which needs to access the net by 'allowing other networks to connect through this computers internet connection' from the network control panel but it keeps halting for ages and then coming up with 'cannot enable shared access as cannot find file specified'. ive installed a nice new copy of xp home :O

anyone have any idea on how it can find it? it doesnt even state what windows file is missing

Danoh 20:04 22 Oct 06

I presume you are not using a standard Ethernet cable to connect the two but one where a couple of internal wires are crossed-over for direct computer to computer connectivity?

Strawballs 22:58 22 Oct 06
  theDarkness 02:12 23 Oct 06

thanks for the replies :) I think I continued this problem elsewhere :O the device needed to access the net works through usb, and the problem I realise with my xps ICS Internet Connection Sharing is with its registry settings or files haven gone missing completely... registry cleaners on my system cleaning/deleting far more than they should!

Ive tried "sfc /scannow" from the start>run menu to solve the problem and reinstall ICS, but as with Microsoft making a rush job of most updates, even with SP2 already included on my xp cd, the system will only accept an xp pro disc to reinstall my ICS! :( Ive tried registry help from various websites to correct the problem but nothing works, so it looks like im going to have to reinstall xp at some point. and never use a registry cleaner again! lol :)

mgmcc 08:39 23 Oct 06

I may be wrong, but you seem to be making the setting up of "Internet Connection Sharing" much more complicated than it actually is.

You need to have:

(1) an Internet Connection (whether Dialup, ADSL connection, Ethernet etc) on which you can enable "Internet Connection Sharing"

(2) an available network adapter (Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection) which can be used to connect the "client" computer.

If there is no available network adapter to connect a "client" device, the option to enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the actual internet connection will not be present.

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.

When you enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the Internet connection, it automatically configures the network adapter used for your "private network connection" with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. If you have more than one adapter available for this purpose, e.g. both a "Local Area Connection" and a "Wireless Network Connection", you will have a drop down list from which to select the appropriate adapter. The "Client" PC's Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "Host" PC. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your "Host" PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or "ICS" traffic will be blocked.

theDarkness 17:57 23 Oct 06

the wifi device definately appears when I connect it via usb, and my modem does give the ICS option when the wifi connects, but my version of XPs 'allow other networks to connect through this computers internet connection' from the network control panel definately does not let me use it. 'cannot enable shared access as cannot find file specified' displayed after being selected. The problem is definately because registry entries have been removed after a "safe" clean up, as Ive now installed xp on another drive, and stayed away from the registry cleaners, and its working ok.

Another major part of the problem I have found is that the wifi does not work unless I have totally switched off my firewall (ZA), even when putting in the accept settings for the wifi!

now ill just have to reinstall windows at some point and stay away from any registry cleaners! lol :(

thanks! :D

mgmcc 20:48 23 Oct 06

<<< Another major part of the problem I have found is that the wifi does not work unless I have totally switched off my firewall (ZA), even when putting in the accept settings for the wifi! >>>

Did you note the last sentence of my previous message which specifically relates to Zone Alarm in the "Host" PC when using Internet Connection Sharing?

<<< cannot enable shared access as cannot find file specified' >>>

You could try reinstalling TCP/IP. To reinstall TCP/IP in Windows XP, right click the network connection and select Properties. Click the "Install" button, select Protocol and click the "Add" button. In the next box, click the "Have Disk" button and, in the line "Copy manufacturer's files from:", type C:\Windows\inf and click OK. In the next box, click Microsoft in the left pane, then Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the right pane and click "OK". Close all open windows and reboot the PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos