Simple HDD swap?

sjd224 18:09 15 Mar 04

Please help - though this may be obvious to some. I have a 40GB HDD with XP as the OS. I wish to upgrade to a 120GB HDD. To avoid all the associated problems of formatting and re-installing, is it possible to simply connect the new HDD as a slave, copy all files from the (40GB) master to it, remove the original master, re-designate the new (120GB) HDD as master, and boot from that? Is it that easy? Or have I overlooked a fundamental problem? Please advise.

Diodorus Siculus 18:13 15 Mar 04

One way would be to use Norton Ghost; xxclone is also a popular program for that procedure.

click here

JerryJay 18:14 15 Mar 04

yes, it is just that easy, but copy does not work, you need to use something as xxcopy, "dos" based program, not easy to use.

The one program I like is CasperXP, you can download a full working version from producer here click here or download.com here click here, other users comments here click here

JerryJay 18:20 15 Mar 04

One more thing: you may need to reactivate WinXP. Some program (same as XP here) lock licence with a particular PC. HD change is the same as move to a new PC, so some software package may need to be registrate/reactivate.

By the way, utility program should come with HD do the job. If you got oem version of HD, no utility program but you can always download from manufacturer's web site.

961 19:17 15 Mar 04

If you go to the Seagate web site you will find a programme to download to do just what you want.
Alternatively Acronis True Image or Partition Magic will do it.
In each case you install the new hard disk, transfer the files across and then remove the old one
The programmes mentioned in earlier posts will work as well

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…