A simple database, CSV XLS or TXT?

tonyuk72 17:41 05 Feb 06

Hi friends,

It's been a while since i've been around & typically I turn to you with a request of help.

Here's the problem: I would like to create a webpage which will enable individuals to store limited information & for that information to then be presented to all other individuals. Presentation will be in the form of a list sortable a-z most-least and possibly will charts & graphs.

It will need to work on an NTL server so I am looking for alternatives to access, mysql etc.

each individual will need to be able to change their records so a password would be appropriate. Individuals should not be able to alter other individuals records.

Am I going to be able to do this, or am I going to need database functionality?

Thanks in advance

dez82 21:01 13 Feb 06

First things first the kind of functionality you're talking about requires that your web hosting support some form of server-side scripting technology (ASP, PHP etc).

If it doesn't you'll probably need to buy some that does and in that case you should get some database support thrown in.

If it does then the type of database should depend on what that technology is and whether you have access to things like ActiveX Data Objects (ADO).

tonyuk72 21:06 13 Feb 06

Thank-you for your reply. I am pleased to say that I have found a hosting company which supplies MySQL & PHP.

I can successfully install forums, ecommerce etc. But I wouldn't know where to begin to attempt to setup the required tables for my solution or how to present the data to the end user.

I am open to suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5