Simple BBand question...

barryoneoff.co.uk 01:20 20 Nov 04

I am thinking of taking up a trial offer with BT Yahoo, and upgrading to Broadband at last. Just need an answer on the physical side of it.

My telephone is in the hall, my PC is upstairs. Iput a double socket from the phone in the hall, ran an extension line up the stairs under the stair carpet with another doubler to connect to the PC and extension phone.

If you understood all that, all I need to know is do I have to go through the same process with another cable for BB, or will it just run through the existing phone cable?

Any advice appreciated, Whiz...

Djohn 01:38 20 Nov 04

Your best option of setting up will be as follows. Use one ADSL microfilter on the main phone socket in the hall. Plug your existing double adapter into the Phone outlet of the filter then use a new cable with RJ 11 connectors at both ends [The small modem ones], plug this into the ADSL side of the filter, run this cable up the stairs and plug into the back of your USB modem.

kev.Ifty 01:59 20 Nov 04

If you receive two filters, as i did with Wanadoo. Then Plug in filter one in to the wall socket in the hall.

Run phone cable upstairs(as you already have)

Now... assuming you have a socket in to which you have your extension phone connected. Plug the second filter into this socket.

You now have two connections to make in the filter, one for your phone and one for your BB Modem.

It is now that you will need the RJ11 TO RJ11 cable to connect from the filter to the BB Modem.

Hopefully this should save running more than one cable up the 'apples and pears'

;-)Kev.

Jackcoms 07:31 20 Nov 04

barryoneoff.co.uk

To address your original question - which hasn't yet been answered!

You do not need another cable for BB. The whole point of BB is that it runs down the same cable as your 'phone voice calls. When your line is BB activated it is effectively split into two with low frequency signals for the voice calls and high frequency for the BB running simultaneously down the same piece of copper wire.

The important thing is to ensure that every 'phone, fax, Sky box, etc in your house has a microfilter attached to it, otherwise you'll get horrendous background noise whenever you make a voice call.

barryoneoff.co.uk 10:01 20 Nov 04

it seems from your answers, that I may not have to have the stair carpet up again sfter all!

Thanks again, Whiz...

Hamish 10:16 20 Nov 04

Check out this site for information click here

LEGGGGY 10:21 20 Nov 04

according to what ive been told you should not run broadband from more than 10meters away from main phone socket especially through cheap phone extensions as this reduces the broadband and you may be end up paying for more than what you are actually getting

Graham ® 10:55 20 Nov 04

Your phone line has already been through miles of really thin wires to get to your house, a few metres up the stairs 'shouldn't' cause a problem. Try it first.

The broadband will not be reduced, it either works or it doesn't.

barryoneoff.co.uk 10:55 20 Nov 04

I'll look into it further.

Buchan 35 22:20 20 Nov 04

Thanks for this post barryoneoff.co.uk. I`ve exactly the same problem and find it`s been answered here. Thanks also to hamish!!

rins36 22:51 20 Nov 04

is this the offer for £15.99 per month til may 1gb download et

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…