Simple basic program for editing video please

musicbassman 21:47 16 May 07

Hello folks - I have a Sony Handycam which uses DV tapes. It's a great little camcorder but the supplied software for downloading onto PC and editing it is absolutely unfathomable, and keeps crashing the PC in any case.

Has anyone personal experience of a program I could use for this? I don't know what format the DV tapes are.

PS I've been advised against using Windows Media Maker as (quote)"WMM will not export the relevant files (*.VOBs etc)for burning to a DVD"

Thanks.

Technotiger 21:50 16 May 07

Hi, if you have XP - Windows Movie Maker is included.

Technotiger 21:52 16 May 07

Or - courtesy of Google, take your pick...

click here

MAJ 22:15 16 May 07

Windows Movie Maker can export as WMV or DV-AVI files which can be encoded and burnt to DVD to play on a standalone DVD player.

musicbassman 22:32 16 May 07

Sorry - I put 'Media Maker' - meant to put 'Movie Maker' See my PS on my original post.
Does it matter about what format the DV tapes are?
I know there's loads of programs out there - a definite recommendation for one from personal experience is what I really need please.

MAJ 22:36 16 May 07

Which model of the Sony Handycam are you using?

MAJ 22:41 16 May 07

When you upload the video from your Sony Handycam to your PC, what format is it saved in?

GroupFC 22:48 16 May 07

I think you might find if you want a "simple basic program" for video editing, that these two phrases are mutually exclusive!!

Windows MovieMaker is a simple basic program (notwithstanding the fact that it you doesn't support burning to DVD) and before you start parting with cash, If I was you I would experiment with that to see if you really want to edit video (it is very resource intensive both in terms of your own time and in terms of computer resources).

If you want to get the finished movie onto to DVD, you will either have to use 3rd party burning S/ware or alternatively, you could record the fininshed movie back to tape and then use a standalone DVD recorder to get it onto disc.

What s/ware did you get with the camcorder and maybe we can help you to get to grips with it.

anchor 10:38 17 May 07

You don't say what model Sony camcorder you have, but on my Sony DV there is a connection that Sony call "i.link".

I connect this to a firewire card installed on my PC; this enable the video to be captured on the computer. There are many programmes that will do this, but I suggest you first try the "free" route, (as I have successfully done).

Start Windows Movie Maker and use this to capture your video.You can also use WMM to edit, and add effects, titles. etc.

You save this finished result, and can view it on your PC.

Using another free programme, DVD Flick, you can convert this file, (be it either WMV or AVI), into a DVD; & it will also burn it to the DVD.

click here

If you get on well, then you then could consider paid for alternatives.

anchor 10:48 17 May 07

If you don`t have a firewire card, its about £10, including delivery, from here;

click here

It also comes with a free copy of Ulead VideoStudio software.

musicbassman 18:45 17 May 07

All I want to do is just edit out and tidy up some cam footage - no music, no effects, nothing like that. Model is a DCR-HC-18E.
MAJ, you said "When you upload the video from your Sony Handycam to your PC, what format is it saved in?" Well I don't know this, do I, because I haven't got a program to do the uploading, which is exactly what I'm enquiring about.
The camcorder has a USB link which I connected, and my camcorder instruction book says that I need to have USB streaming enabled, which I did. The program which came with the camcorder is called Sony Picture Package. The first time I connected the USB it found the cam and I got the video to play on the PC, but it wouldn't record it to disk and has failed to find the USB connection since.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…