Silverlight won't be uninstalled

firegamp 09:23 17 Aug 10

Silverlight has super-glued itself to my XP Pro PC and nothing I do will shift it. Can someone PLEASE tell me how to get rid of it. The problem started when I clicked the yellow exclamation mark shield to install "updates ready for me computer". The result was a window saying that one update had not been installed -- Silverlight. Later I thought I'd cracked it when I was looking at the iPlayer site and was offered a click-to-install new version of Silverlight. I was told I'd have to uninstall the old version first and was offered a 30-second click-fix to do this. No-go! I tried to follow the instructions but the end result was the same. I could not even find the Settings part of the Start button route. It could all be related to a recurrence of an old plague of everlasting Instal windows. Help! firegamp

johndrew 10:21 17 Aug 10

Can you see it in Add/Remove, Ccleaner Tools or Windows Install Cleanup? Installer Cleanup click here

It shows up in all three of the above on my XP system. If you have a corrupt or partial installation then the Windows Install Cleanup utility should show it and remove it. If all else fails you may need to uninstall manually but this is not recommended as far as I can see. click here

The only other option I can think of is to try the MS Fix it facility click here

gengiscant 10:47 17 Aug 10

I also had trouble getting all the remnants of Silverlight out of my system.I had a corrupt installation and nothing would shift until I did the following.
Uninstall Silverlight through Add/remove or whatever program you use.
Then use this click here
Then use Regedit to find and delete this key:HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Silverlight /f if its there.
Reinstall here click here

firegamp 11:12 20 Aug 10

Thank you all. Between the various fixes, the answer emerged. It was the Windows Installer Clean-up utility that triggered the solution. With installer out of the way (and by now reloaded) I could move on to shifting Silverlight -- successfully. Cheers! firegamp

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017