Silverlight - what is it ?

Furkin 07:21 AM 26 Oct 11

Hi folks, I've resisted the offer of Silverlight so far,,,, but heard someone mentioning it on a train the other day. I currently use IE-9 for 99% of the time, & I have Firefox installed in case IE goes t|ts up.

What is Silverlight ?

What are the pro's-n-con's ?

gengiscant 08:05 AM 26 Oct 11

All you need to know. Silverlight

mooly 08:07 AM 26 Oct 11

Silverlight is just a web browser "plug in" like Adobe Flash Player.

Unless you have actually visited a site that has asked for Silverlight to be installed before you can view it then personally I wouldn't bother installing it.

In fact does anyone know a site that actually uses Silverlight...

Furkin 08:10 AM 26 Oct 11

I've never been asked for it. I just keep seeing it in my Win Update & wondered what it was.

I'll probably stick to what I have until Win-8 comes out. I'm thinking of trying the beta version on my lappy,,,, just to get to grips with it.

cheers mate

northumbria61 08:18 AM 26 Oct 11

It is a must install if you have SKY GO on your computer - it won't work without it.

mooly 08:21 AM 26 Oct 11

As too Windows 8.

It's not really a Beta program, it's well before that stage and is a "developer preview".

Don't even think of installing it unless you have a way back...

And as to Silverlight... just hide the update so it's not visible.

mimosa418 08:46 AM 26 Oct 11

I mistakenly installed Silverlight and had untold problems with updates failing. I have now uninstalled it from both my machines and will wait till a web site tells me I require Silverlight before I worry any more about it.

Furkin 10:20 AM 26 Oct 11

cheers all,

Silverlight ? Havn't missed it yet - so No - won't bother.

Win-8 ? I was going to try it on my lappy which is only a stand-by machine, with hardly anything on it yet,,,, but knowing my luck, it would bu@@er things up anyhoo. Another No - won't bother,,,, yet.

sorted - thanks

PS: I seem to be losing my curser now & then when typing in PCA - anyone else ? Everything works o.k, it's just that I can't see where the curser is !

mooly 11:33 AM 26 Oct 11

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to watch Adobe Max 2015: See Adobe unveil new Creative Cloud features for Photoshop,…

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…