silly question re. surge protection?

Carafaraday 08:38 19 Aug 04

Yesterday I bought a new surge protector - this time with a bit for the modem. Lying in bed listening to the thunder and lightening, it occurred to me that it wasn't going to be much good to me with the power switched off - is the modem still protected at all with no power to the surge protector? and is the best answer to unplug the modem every night (not easy, as it involved clambering under the desk!)?

ps I bought a Belkin F9H410uk2M

xania 09:07 19 Aug 04

Firstly, I don't think there is such a thing as a 'silly question'. If you don't know, you need to ask. Lecture over.

One of the problems is that the modem is connected to the telephone line, which, of course, can easily surge in the event of a storm, frying your modem, and potentially your entire system. So long as your modem is connected through the surge protection, its should be safe - you will normally find that the device comes with insurance against failure. So far as the other devices are concerned, unless you unplug at the mains, you still have the connection to earth and, so I understand, surge protection is still essential. The device itself does not need power to operate.

Carafaraday 09:16 19 Aug 04

Thanks for your reply. What I wondered was whether the insurance would still pay out if the surge protector was switched off (provided everything was routed through it of course)? I don't really understand how the thing works, you see. I'm pretty sure you are saying yes.........? but ideally I just want to keep my pc safe from harm.

xania 09:29 19 Aug 04

So long as everything is connected through the surghe protection in accordance with the instruction manual, you are protected/insured. Remember the old maxim, though - 'When all else fails, ead the manual'.

xania 09:29 19 Aug 04

So long as everything is connected through the surghe protection in accordance with the instruction manual, you are protected/insured. Remember the old maxim, though - 'When all else fails, ead the manual'.

xania 09:31 19 Aug 04

That should be 'Read the manual'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…