Silly question here ... email addresses

mrsp 21:27 11 Mar 04

If I change to another ISP (broadband) will I be able to still use my old email address ? as I have quite a few contacts and it would be troublesome to change them all. Thanks

TommyRed 21:34 11 Mar 04

I don't think so, I'm also on BB and my e-mail address has part of my ISP in it. HTH TR

woodchip 21:55 11 Mar 04

You should be able to, just by adding an account in OE. Or just leave the modem connected for E-Mail and Fax. but when you put the details in for the account you use the POP server settings but for SMTP you have to use the new server that you want to use to send and receive E-Mails

Ian-B 21:56 11 Mar 04

When I changed to Broadband I had to change my ISP and thus needed a new email address to send emails. However I was still able to receive emaisl to my old address so I did not miss any messages sent to my old address. I was advised by both the new and old ISPs that it would work that way so it seems quite common.

User-312386 21:57 11 Mar 04

the answer is usually NO

i changed from btinternet and went to blueyonder and could not take my e-mail address with me

Chegs ® 22:04 11 Mar 04

I have used several ISP's and each time I changed,I thought I had lost the previous addresses,until I tried setting up my previous ISP's address in Linux(dont ask!)and was able to receive those emails.I stopped using it due to the levels of spam it was ultimately collecting.

billyliv 22:09 11 Mar 04

Hi, I used to be with 'Freeola' (Technically still am). But when I upgraded to NTL broadband I had to use NTL settings and new mail addresses. Fortunately 'Freeola' operates a 'Forwarding service' so anything that goes to my old address comes through my NTL account. Cheers, Bill

Lardy FB 23:55 11 Mar 04

If you get your self a hotmail e-mail address you can use it with any isp

Megatyte 00:51 12 Mar 04

The answer is yes. I have 16 addresses with 8 different ISP's and I access them all through the one connection. As Woodchip said, you need to change the SMTP server to the one that you're using for access.

It's normal for ISP's to suspend accounts if you don't use their connection to access the internet within a certain period(90 days in some cases). To avoid this just use their connection for a couple of minutes each month.

AH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…