Silly Question

ameba 21:15 28 Apr 03

....It may seem silly but when you get a new PC, does a sound card come with it? I have sounds etc.
I bought a CD RW today and went to connect it and it says to connect the IDE Interface cable to the sound card but I can't seem to find anything for the cable to fit into?
Do I need to get a sound card and connect it to motherboard before I can connect the IDE interface cable?

spikeychris 21:18 28 Apr 03

If you don't have a sound card fitted look for the on board connector. As to the question, all computers do not come with sound cards..

Chris

ameba 21:22 28 Apr 03

That's probably it then, no sound card installed.
Thought I was just being a stupid newbie to PC's and couldn't see the obvious. Well, I am a stupid newbie, I didn't know. :)
Thanks again for your help.

misters 21:24 28 Apr 03

I'm pretty sure when i fitted my cdrw it came with a thin wire, one side fiteted to the cdrw and the other to the sound card, which is seperate from the motherboard and other ide connections you could try looking for this connection.

Legolas 21:26 28 Apr 03

As spikeychris says some m/boards come with onboard sound in that case there will be a connection point on the m/board, some systems come with a sound card fitted in that case there will be a connection point on the sound card and some systems, although unlikely, come with neither in that case you would need to buy and fit a sound card. If you are already getting sound but you have no sound card then you will have onboard sound and there will be a connection point on the m/board.

spikeychris 21:27 28 Apr 03

There was a time when every member here would not even of known how to turn a computer on ;o)

Chris

misters 21:30 28 Apr 03

lol

MIke 21:32 28 Apr 03

Your original DVD or CD probably has a lead connected to it that is already connected to your sound card or motherboard. Look at the back of the drive and you should see the IDE Ribbon cable, a lead from the power supply to the right of the IDE cable, the sound lead to the left of the IDE ribbon cable.

You only need to connect to the sound card if you want to use the CDRW to playback sound through your pc speakers it's not needed to write CD's.

I don't understand why your instructions tell you to connect the ide cable to the sound card. You either connect an IDE cable from the CDRW drive to A spare IDE connector on your motherboard, or if it's already in use you'll see a connector about a third of the way down an existing IDE lead (From Hard drive or existing CD/DVD). You connect the new CDRW to this connector. However you must then set the jumpers correctly on the two drives connected together. One as master and one as slave. All this should have been detailed in your instructions with the cdrw drive.

Good luck it is easier than it sounds honest!

Legolas 21:33 28 Apr 03

How can you say that spikeychris, switching on a computer is easy, as long as you remember to wind up the key on the back ;-)

DieSse 21:33 28 Apr 03

I presume you already have a CD drive of some type, before you bought the CD-Writer. Did this have an audio (NOT IDE - this is the flat wide cable) cable on it? - the audio cable (as said above) is a thin cable with small black/white plugs on. If it did not, and you could hear audio CDs when you played them, then you won't need one on the CD-Writer either - they are for older systems.

Offline 21:36 28 Apr 03

There is a pic on here. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…