Silent power supply recommendation

thewasp 16:35 11 Nov 09

I need a 300ish watt atx power supply to replace my noisy one, in my experience the "silent" ones are often far from it...

Can anyone recommend a nice and quiet one at a reasonable price. Thanks

GaT7 17:16 11 Nov 09

There's no such thing as a silent PSU at a reasonable price. That's unless one's fortunate enough to pick up a secondhand bargain on eBay or similar. E.g. £90 for totally silent, fanless 300-500W ones at click here & click here.

Scan are doing a few 'Super silent' Silverstone PSUs on their Todayonly page click here, starting at £50 that could be amongst the quietest non-fanless PSUs. The 350W Be Quiet one at eBuyer for £30 click here might be reasonably quiet too. Also consider this £40 400W Corsair click here. All the above make quality PSUs & one can't really go wrong with them for the money.

If you want zero noise, you'll need to stump up the cash for one, or be patient for a bargain in the auctions. G

Sbrads 19:08 11 Nov 09

My Corsair 520w is almost silent, cost me about £65. By way of comparison, a PC World £35 brown box 450w one made by Jeantech was about 100 times louder and I thought that was quiet at the time compared to a 350w cheapie that expired and forced me to get the Jeantech.

thewasp 20:38 11 Nov 09

Regarding wattage, am I right in thinking the psu only uses what it needs, so using a 500w to replace a 300w for example will not use any more electricity...

GaT7 20:53 11 Nov 09

That's right thewasp, but if the difference is great, efficiency might suffer.

E.g. a 300W PSU for 250W actual use might have a 85% efficiency. But a 500W PSU for the same actual usage (250W) might only be 75% efficient.

Sbrads, I also have the same PSU, & can confirm that it's relatively silent. G

thewasp 21:22 11 Nov 09

I see ebuyer are doing a 400 watt Corsair for around £40.

What other brands are well regarded?

woodchip 21:35 11 Nov 09

Though it only uses 300 watt if its 500 watt it will not have as much work to do so it should last longer and you will not notice the difference in cost to run as it only uses what it needs not what its got

GaT7 01:04 12 Nov 09

"I see ebuyer are doing a 400 watt Corsair for around £40."

See my initial post.

"What other brands are well regarded?"

Apart from Silverstone, Be Quiet & Corsair - Antec, Enermax, Tagan, Seasonic, Etasis, OCZ (or PC Power & Cooling), Zalman, Coolermaster, Xigmatek, Hiper, FSP, Akasa, Thermaltake, Gigabyte. G

thewasp 09:10 12 Nov 09

Thanks for all the suggestions - very helpful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…