silent modem in W 98

palinka 19:09 06 Feb 04

I thought I knew how to fix the problem of the silent modem ( modem>properties>connection> advanced. then type ATM1 in Extra settings)But when I tried to do this in my sister's pc (OS is W98)there was nowhere to type ATMO1. Any ideas, please?

Gongoozler 19:56 06 Feb 04

Try highlighting the modem in Device Manager, select Properties and click on the Modem tab. You should hen have a Volume slider.

palinka 22:08 06 Feb 04

Gongoozler, I've already got the volume slider and it's set to maximum; but there's still no dialling sound.

gold 47 22:20 06 Feb 04

Is your modem new or old? as some dial up modems
have no speaker and are silent on dial up.

gudgulf 22:21 06 Feb 04

What make is the modem?

palinka 09:36 07 Feb 04

It's an Intel[R]536EPV.92 and came on a new system about a year ago. before that she had a different system on which you could hear a diallling sound.

BRYNIT 11:27 07 Feb 04

If you have a SBlaster card check the mixer control settings to see if the modem is not set to mute this may also apply to other cards.

palinka 12:40 07 Feb 04

Thanks BRYNIT, I'll pass that advice on (sister lives 150 miles away; was trying to solve her probelm while visiting earlier this week).

Diemmess 12:51 07 Feb 04

In addition to BRYNIT who probably has the answer, I was helped on this forum a couple of months ago with an ammendment for the modem's control string. My problem was the exact opposite of yours -it screeched too loudly regardless of Windows settings.

The addition of 2 characters solved it- "like ^0"
Can someone out there suggest what Palinka might try?

palinka 09:15 08 Feb 04

I'll tick resolved for now, as it'll be some time before I hear if BRYNIT's suggestion did the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…