Signing Electronic Documents?

numskull 10:44 16 May 05

What is the best way to sign electronic documents? i.e. letters composed in word and sent as an attachment.
Currently I insert a scanned image of my signature.

Belatucadrus 11:06 16 May 05

The advice I was given was basically don't do it, as sending your signature electronically meant that anybody with access to the document could cut and paste to something else. If you want to add your name in a script font fine, but be aware of the potential for misuse with scanned copies and reproductions.

numskull 11:19 16 May 05

Surely anyone could scan and copy your signature from any conventional letter.

Belatucadrus 11:48 16 May 05

True, but the one way requires a bit of extra hardware and some work, the other just two mouse clicks, could not be easier. If what you've got works and you're happy with it then fine, but my ex employers were dead set against it and it's a policy I still apply.
Personal preferences.

numskull 12:07 16 May 05

Well, how do digital signatures work or if you apply security to the document?

Belatucadrus 14:51 16 May 05

Digital Signature explanation click here they involve encryption, so are much more secure, as you can see from the Wikipedia reference that explains it far better than I could.

Aspman 14:54 16 May 05

Digital signature tutorial link:

click here

Thawte offers free email certificates:

click here

It wouldn't sign your document but it would confirm you as the sender.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…