Signal strength low.

MjWoNeR 14:41 21 Aug 06

I have a Netgear wgt624v3 router.

The signal though is not as strong since the router is quite far away from where my PC and laptop is.

My PC does a bit better than the laptop, i mean i can surf the internet normaly, kind of ish.
The laptop on the other hand is strugling to get some signal..and the connection is 10mbit.

Is there a cheap way to boost the signal a bit?
Like an better antenna for the router for example?
Are all antennas compatible with all the routers?

Any suggestions?

Thnx for your time

FelixTCat 15:22 21 Aug 06

MjWoNeR,

Try moving your router around a bit. You can increase its range and signal strength by getting it as high up as possible. Even moving it a foot or two sideways may make a difference.

Also, check that the router and laptop are transmitting at full power (in the setup pages). The default is that they are, but it may have been turned down.

Regards,

Felix

MjWoNeR 15:31 21 Aug 06

I done that already.
I actually bought one extra long cable 10meters or something(cheapest way i could think) and took the router as close and high as possible. But the router is downstairs and i am on the first floor on the other side..
The router with the extra cable did not even reach the center of the lower floor.(Yes its a big house:( )
Transmitting is at full power, i checked that first of all.

I wonder if there is a loss in the signal from the extension cable as well.

ade.h 16:02 21 Aug 06

In a large house, possibly with think solid walls, I would not be surprised to get signal trouble if the router is downstairs and the clients are diagonally opposite.

A new aerial probably won't achieve anything. A range extender would, if you had somewhere to place it. Or perhaps a MIMO router and adapter. Either way, you would be looking at some expense or a lot of expense respectively.

So tweak for all it's worth before committing to new or additional equipment.

ade.h 16:03 21 Aug 06

think? I meant thick. (Ironic!)

MjWoNeR 16:11 21 Aug 06

I see. and i was thinking on making a flatenna.. lol

Are MIMO routers and MIMO cards that good??

ade.h 16:29 21 Aug 06

Yes, pretty much. They certainly knock the over-rated Pre-n stuff into a cocked hat. It's all down to multiplexing. click here and scroll down. There are no cast-iron guarantees becuase every environment is different, but MIMO signals usually have the strength to go where others cannot because they are resistant to break-up.

MjWoNeR 16:40 21 Aug 06

That was interesting.

Thnx for the info ade.h!

Have a nice day :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac