SIGNAL STRENGTH

dunlops up 13:44 15 Jan 06

I have searched the forum and cannot really find an answer to my problem.
I have a LINKSYS WAG354G and have a similar problem to many people on signal strength. I live in a long house and unfortunately the reuter is at one end connected to my desktop PC and I use a laptop in other rooms. The signal is very low further along the house as it has a few brick walls to go through. I have found the strongest channel and have the reuter as high as possible.
Short of placing the reuter somewhere more central and making the desktop PC wireless, are there any makes that transmit a stronger signal because I am thinking of swopping it??
I cannot find where manufacturers publish the transmission output which would be very useful or am I looking in the wrong place??

PaulB2005 13:49 15 Jan 06

Putting the Router in a central location would be better. You could use the laptop with an Ethernet Cable to connect to the Router when you need change settings and use both the PC and the laptop wirelessly.

I believe you can get boosters but a centrally located Router would give you a better signal all over.

De Marcus™ 13:50 15 Jan 06

booster as mentioned by Paul click here

De Marcus™ 13:51 15 Jan 06
  dunlops up 17:52 15 Jan 06

Thanks Paul and De Marcus, do you know
1. Where the Linksys Wireless range expander fits into?

2. Does this mean that all the other routers available transmit at the same signal strength and so its not worth trying a different make.

3. I think the cheaper solution is to make the desktop PC wireless, which card wpuld you use?

dunlops up 18:23 15 Jan 06

Just found out that I can buy a High Gain Aerial to fit the WAG 354G. Anyone know how well it increases the range??

dunlops up 19:12 16 Jan 06

I am having problems with range. I had a Linksys WAG354G and in the room I wish to use wirelessly, the signal was very poor. Linksys suggested a WAP54G and said I would need 2 of them, that was a bit pricey so they said a High Gain Antenna might work, I have read mixed responses to these.
Comet recommended a WAG54GS with speed booster which I bought and guess what- no change in signal strength.
It is almost impossible to find out what reuter has more signal output as opposed to data transfer. The WAG54GS would appear to be quicker at data transfer but not signal.
Is this Netgear router likely to give me a better signal or any other suggestions.
I have the router set as high as possible/ changed channels/would prefer not to make the main PC linked to router wireless.

Grateful for help.

Forum Editor 19:17 16 Jan 06

you've just posted an exact duplicate of your last post in someone else's thread. Please don't do this -it creates confusion. Having said that, I've answered your question in that other thread.

dunlops up 19:51 16 Jan 06

OK, thanks for the answer, I still cant believe that signal strength is not published, if I buy a radio transmitter it tells me the signal output in watts, why do these companies not give the same info to make it easier.
There must be something with a strong output available on the market.

pcw Manager!!??! 19:57 16 Jan 06

There is! Belkin do a Pre N wireless router and pre N wireless laptop adaptor, much improved range and signal strength, no adsl version available as yet but can share broadband using an aftermarket ethernet adsl modem

dunlops up 16:28 17 Jan 06

Thanks for that, would I need a laptop adapter as I eventually will have 3 operating on the system or will the router be sufficient??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…