Signal Booster

mowthecat 08:24 18 Sep 06

I have a 3Com wireless modem router which now works fine but due to the thick stone walls in my house (approx. 2ft thick) the reception on my laptop is very variable. The router has 2 adjustable but fixed on aerials ie. no sma plug or whatever so I can't buy a normal external aerial. Maplins sell a few boosters that appear to sit around the existing aerial and concentrate the signal in a specific direction. Has anyone any experience of these and do they work? Is there any other option?

dms05 12:36 18 Sep 06

One other solution is 'Homeplug'. This uses the mains electric cable to distribute your Internet. Your Modem Router connects to the Homeplug device using a standard network cable, you then have a second device in another mains socket and that connects by a network cable to your laptop. You can move the second Homeplug to wherever you have a mains socket. You just need the sockets to be on the same 'phase' which it will be in a standard house (in an industrial application this might not be the case).

Search 'Homeplug' on ebay or Kelcoo to see suppliers and prices.

Atc123 20:14 25 Sep 06

You could get wireless repeaters that connect to the access point see
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…