'Sign in' problems

Shanks 23:40 19 Mar 03

A friend of mine uses Hotmail for her e-mail, all has worked fine until yesterday and now whenever she tries to log on she gets a message saying that she must enable cookies before it will allow access. Nothing has been altered and the security setting is to "allow all cookies" access, I have looked for any other place where it may be restricted but can't find anywhere. I can log on to her account from my pc without any probs so it's definatly somthing with her system. Is there a hidden setting or something I've missed?

I have tried renaming the msn cookies but it makes no difference. She is running Win Me and IE6

TIA

woodchip 23:53 19 Mar 03

Go to Add Remove Programs in the control panel and double click on Microsoft Internet Explorer choose repair

Shanks 00:02 20 Mar 03

Cheers for the response Woodchip, I will give it a go. Is this a known problem? and have you any idea what could have caused the settings to be ignored all of a sudden

Cheers

Shanks 08:42 22 Mar 03

Ok, I've tried Woodchip's suggestion and although it appeared to go through the motions, after rebooting the problem was still there. I have tried renaming/deleting the cookies. As a workaround for the moment I have set Outlook to collect the mail but this is still something I would like to cure.

Any other sugestions.

TIA

VoG™ 08:50 22 Mar 03

Have you tried:

Tools/Internet Options, Privacy tab, Advanced button

Tick:

? Override automatic cookie handling

? First party cookies

? Third party cookies

? Always allow session cookies

Shanks 09:07 22 Mar 03

Thanks for the response VoG, I have tried changing all those settings, but the error still remains the same. I have also tried adding the web site to the 'Per site Privacy' list to accept all cookies - still no change.

The MS knowledge base acknowledges that this may be a problem with IE5 but no mention of IE6. They suggest a repair using regedit. I have tried that, but it made no difference. So I changed the setting back and left it.

This is a Evesham system, about 18 months old, and I suppose I could format and reinstall but other than this little glitch the system is stable and working fine so I am very disinclined to take that route.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch