$-£ sign on keyboards

cfcnick 13:57 31 Mar 05

There has been some threads on this, but none of them answer my question.

On e-bay, there are many cheaper keyboards for sale, especially Logitech ones, that are sold as US models, therefore do not have a pound sign. Is this the only difference or do alot of the keys do different things to UK versions? They work out about £10-£15 cheaper than in the shops so I just wondered if they are worth the hassle?

many thanks

nick

BlueMeanie 14:26 31 Mar 05

Hi,

There are several differances, £ \ # a few others but most annoyingly the @ key.

You could either touch-type or instruct Windows the use the American keyboard.

I once purchased one, bur regretted it, it was too annoying to use.

PS computer fairs often sell quality keyboards cheap eg MicroSoft OEM UK keyboards ( It was £21 I think, last week) etc

Regards

Belatucadrus 14:33 31 Mar 05

If you do use a US keyboard, remember to set the keyboard input language to English-US and the keys will then correspond with their appropriate functions. I'm not sure if the € works on US keyboards.

Starfox 14:33 31 Mar 05

The first pc I ever owned had one of those U.S keyboards and what a pain it was,best take BlueMeanie's advice and avoid them.

jack 14:47 31 Mar 05

US KeyBoards - best avoided - thats why they are cheap.

As Mentioned Fairs are best for this and other small peripherals and bigger stuff too.

A Bog standard UK board will cost as little as £2 at a fair a better one with extra buttons,
or even built in card readers a fiver - no need to pay more

pj123 15:36 31 Mar 05

£10 - £15 cheaper than what? The standard UK PS2 keyboards that I supply are only £6 anyway.

Stuartli 16:24 31 Mar 05

Just bought Lidl's wireless keyboard and optical mouse set today for £19.99 - replaced a Typhoon version used for past two or three years after the keyboard packed up.

Very quiet keyboard, nicely tactile touch, full HotKey facilities and mouse equally proficient. Pack included four AA Duracell batteries which aren't cheap at the best of times.

Took about five minutes to set up.

cfcnick 17:26 31 Mar 05

thanks all

Simsy 17:31 31 Mar 05

had a US keyboard...

Ours, the UK ones, have a £ sign as shift and 3. and the $ as shift and 4. Her keyboard didn't have the £ sign engraved on the "3" key, but she tried it anyway, and it worked.

Consequently, I suspect there is nothing inherently different "electronically" speaking that makes a US keyboard different to a UK one. It's all in the engraving on the keys.

As usual when I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm open to correction on this!!

Regards,

Simsy

justme 19:21 31 Mar 05

I believe that you are correct in what you say. A keyboard is merely a collection of switches and the computer then translates the key which is pressed into something meaningful.

The problem is that very few of us touch type and therefore rely on the symbols printed on the keys to tell us which key to press. The American keyboard has some symbols in different places and this can lead to confusion unless you set up your computer to use the American keyboard, in which case the computer then translates the key pressed into the same symbols as appears on the key.

However, if you are used to typing on a UK keyboard then the relocation of things like the @,", and # can be confusing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…