Sidewinder not working

Nightmanager 11:22 21 Jan 06

I have just received a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 joystick from a seller on ebay.
He states that it was working OK on his machine, yet on mine it is not recognised. I am running XP Professional, which should recognise the joystick without the need for any drivers.
Can anyone give me any suggestions on what to try next?

Thalmus 11:25 21 Jan 06

download and install the driver

click here

Biotech 11:46 21 Jan 06

Not sure they work with XP

PaulB2005 11:48 21 Jan 06

Shouldn't need drivers under XP. Plug in and check under Control Panel, Game Controllers that it has been detected.

I also have the same joystick and there is a Static issue with the model - something to do with the metal base.

Power off your PC but leave plugged in.

Plug in and unplug the joystick 6 - 8 times.

Leave unplugged and boot the PC.

Wait for Windows to fully load and plug in. Windows should not detect it.

Otherwise try on another PC.

PaulB2005 11:48 21 Jan 06

Power off your PC but leave plugged in TO THE MAINS.

Nightmanager 23:27 22 Jan 06

Thanks to you all for your help. It seems that plugging and unplugging the USB lead about 6 times did the trick. The PC instantly found the joystick once turned back on after doing this procedure. Thanks again.

PaulB2005 00:33 23 Jan 06

Eventually it'll do it agsin. Just repeat the process and it'll work again. I have to do it every 6 months or so...

PaulB2005 00:35 23 Jan 06

... in my earlier instrcuctions it shuold have said

Wait for Windows to fully load and plug in. Windows should NOW detect it.

and not

Windows should not detect it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…