Sick Windows XP Home

iscanut2 11:46 01 Apr 04

As a fresult of trying to reinstall my Audigy sound card driver, something went wrong and I started to get a blue screen regularly.. " Bad pool Caller ". Tried to use system restore but system kept crashing. Tried to dos sfc /scannow but this also crashed with a blue screen half way through. Now, windows will not boot up at all. the Win XP loading screen comes up, system makes a "click" sound and it atempts to reboot. thus stuck in aloop. Cannot get in using safe mode either. I presume I will have to change BIOS to boot up from CD and the do a repair. I have a WinXP Restore CD from MESH. Can someone talk me through what I need to do to repair Windows ? I am not an expert user by any means !
Thanks,

GBL 13:03 01 Apr 04

Hi by repair disc is it the full version of XP, if so all I did was to change the bios to boot from the CD, insert the disc and followed the instructions, either format etc or just repair.

keith-236785 13:22 01 Apr 04

When you say you tried to Dos/ scandisk, do you mean through windows xp command prompt?

if so then it wont work as windows is obviously poorly.

download a windows98SE start up disk from click here, write it to a floppy, restart your computer with the floppy in the drive (you will have to have your system set to boot from floppy first), when you get the menu, choose "start with cdrom support" then once you have the prompt

A:>

then type sfc /scandisk

that should sort it out.

keith-236785 13:23 01 Apr 04

SCANNOW, not scandisk........

sorry thinking of scandisk there

Graham ® 14:12 01 Apr 04

The sound card driver would seem to be the cause.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…