shuttle noises!

mothercranky 19:43 23 Aug 06

Hi
my son has a shuttle x pc , he has had it a couple of years with no probs.
However, it has started making some very strange "growling" noises!

kind of a grinding noise from where it normally just "whirs"

he says it does it when it had been on for a while, when it starts up and at random intervals.

any ideas anyone? he does leave it on 24/7 could this be the cause?

cheers x

al224 19:49 23 Aug 06

it might be that the computer has overheated and damaged a component. some parts ofthe computer can get very hot and melt other parts.

mothercranky 19:53 23 Aug 06

if that had happened would we smell anything?

al224 19:56 23 Aug 06

possibly. what can you smell

Devil Fish 19:59 23 Aug 06

may be time for a spring clean err well an autumn clean

i would dismiss the overheating theory as the most likely things to get fried are CPU or Motherboard both none moving parts

over time a pcs especially the fans can get clogged with dust it may be worth as a starting point giving it a clean up using an air duster

also while doing this check the PSU fan at the back just blow it out to loosen the dust then give the fan a vacum i would not recommend opening it up unless you really know what you are doing

and see how you go

mothercranky 20:38 23 Aug 06

well we cant smell anythin but i thought we might if it was overheating?

al224 20:53 23 Aug 06

not neceserily (sorry not very gd at spelling)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:23 23 Aug 06

Try and pin the noise down, if fans then replace, if hardrive then back up your data and replace.

igk 01:07 24 Aug 06

My son has one of these cursed machines and it makes exactly the same noise intermittantly,still cannot track it down despite changing fans and the fan on the graphics card,given up just waiting for the phut bang fizz!!!

mothercranky 13:41 26 Aug 06

oh no, that doesnt give me much hope then! will just poke dyson in the back and hope for the best! x

Cybermaxx 15:15 26 Aug 06

Get Everest and have a look at it's Sensor option. It displays the temperatures for your motherboard, CPU, HDD, GPU (if it's able to). Worth a look to see if anything is overheating.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…