Shutting down WindowsXP

normski1950 15:51 28 Jul 05

When I press start menu to shut down the PC I don't get the options of - Standby - Shutdown etc appearing on the screen, instead it just hangs with the egg-timer, I can only close it down using the task manager, any ideas what could be wrong ???

Normski

mjf85 15:55 28 Jul 05

A program running in the backgroud, boot it up, dont open anything and boot it down and see if you have the same problem.

If you dont then next time it happens, click ctrl+alt+del and look to see if any tasks are not repsonding

Jdoki 16:02 28 Jul 05

Try booting in to Windows Safe Mode, then try shutting down through the Start Menu.

If it still doesn't work from there then it's likely a Windows problem. If it does work then as mjf85 suggested it sounds like a process/program running in the background.

Look for anything taking up a lot of CPU time when the machine is idle. Common things I've seen that can cause this... Virus scanner, P2P type programs or Messenger type apps...

woodchip 16:09 28 Jul 05

XP cannot shut one of the programs running on your computer. Go to Start\Run Type MSCONFIG go to Startup tab remove ticks in boxs but Leave Antivirus and Firewall running the try the computer. When it restarts you have to put a tick in the box before closing the box. if you need any of the programs to start at boot after just put a tick back in the box in MSCONFIG

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…