SHutting down pc.......

Pcloe 19:10 12 Feb 03

Hey, when i go to shut down my pc all goes well until just before the very last bit where it just freezes up. The screen goes black and there is a little cursor blinking away for ages and ages, is this worth worrying about or not ? thanks

Ironman556 19:25 12 Feb 03

Are you running win 98?

If you are try running Windows Update from the start menu and downloading the Shutdown patch for 98.

Alternatively, just search for "shutdown patch" on the Microsoft Windows site.

VoG™ 19:26 12 Feb 03

Lots to read click here

hamelin 19:26 12 Feb 03

Hi- is it windows98se? I have the same problem at work, anoying isn't it? if anyone can come up with the answer, I too would be greatful... and yes I have the shutdown supliment installed on an Advent 3000.

Ironman556 19:56 12 Feb 03

Try installing the patch again, it can need installing a few times before it actually decides it's going to "stick". And the effects can come undone by running a disk utility such as scandisk. I've had this problem, it seems to come & go as it wants, usually I just re-install the patch and it goes away again.

redelf 22:44 12 Feb 03

I had a similar problem some time ago and the thing that helped me resolve it was something that does not get mentioned much ; the Windows Troubleshooter. Open Windows Explorer, Help, and in the contents , click on "troubleshooter" and there is an entry for Startup & Shutdown. This will take you through a series of options to find the cause & solution to your problem. (Mine was caused by a conflict with one of the elements of Norton SystemWorks in the Startup Group).

Pcloe 23:27 12 Feb 03

Thanks loads

woodchip 23:36 12 Feb 03

I have a computer like that it's not a problem. it is caused by a modern AT motherboard with super7 CPU. it is safe to just switch of when it get's to that point. if scandisk does not run after you switch of and restart it confirms the point I just made

woodchip 23:38 12 Feb 03

PS if it was frozen you would not have a cursor blinking It's just in Dos and safe to pull the plug

david4637 16:31 13 Feb 03

Can I just ask,because I have shutdown problems, does this MS patch does an uncheck Disable Fast Shutdown, which is the same as running msconfig and unchecking it manually? Thanks David

benn-y 12:12 23 Feb 03

MAny thanks all for input I'm working on it,
Benn-y

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…