Shutting down with no warning

john 20:48 31 Oct 03

Hope someone can help, this is driving me mad!!

Bought new: Case with 300w psu
MSI K7N2 Delta Mboard
512mb DDR ram (kingston)
AMD Athlon 2400 CPU
Cooler master aero cpu fan
Liteon CDRW

Have installed a clean boot of win xp pro and when I start installing any software the computer restarts of its own accord intermitently there is no software installed at present and it doesn't seem to matter what I try to install. It is completely unuseable.
The last message that I got said that the following files would be included in a report to be sent to Microsoft; C:\windows\minidump\mini103103.03.dmp
C:\docume~\dad\locals\~\1\temp\wer7.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml.
If that means anything to anyone!
Have checked CPU operating temp in bios and it's 38c 100f.
The shutting down is not always linked to installing software, sometimes I only have to click on a user name to log on to XP and that will cause the machine to reset.
Any advice would be appreciated.

John

woodchip 20:51 31 Oct 03

What file system have you used Fat32 or NT

john 20:53 31 Oct 03

I setup using the NTFS

george 20:53 31 Oct 03

Hi,

Your power supply is not high enough you need at least 330w power.

Check with your supplier but I think this is the problem.

Cheers.

john 20:58 31 Oct 03

Thanks, I've just had a look at the PSU and it says Total output 350watt max, not 300 that I first thought.
John

george 20:58 31 Oct 03

Hi,

should add that you are logged on to your PC as "Dad" in Docs and settings and the mini dump is just what was in memory when the pc crashed.

I am surprised you even got it to power up with only 300w of power!

Hope this ahsd been of some use.
Cheers.

john 07:39 01 Nov 03

Does anyone think it could be a dodgy cpu or ram?

John

Jungle 07:55 01 Nov 03

Dont think its the CPU as the computer did start up and you were able to load on the Windows software.

As you have suggested could be the ram, Is the ram just one stick or do you have two sticks of 256 in your system, if so then just put one in at a time. If not buy another 256 RAM from someone like crucial ( This wont cost u too much ) and see if that works you can return the original stick to the vendor where you purchased it as faulty.

Have you seated the RAM sticks in your system properly ???..This can cause havoc.

330V should be plenty to run your system so I dont think thats the problem.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards
JUNGLE

john 08:08 01 Nov 03

Thanks for your reply, it's just 1 stick of 512mb DDR.
I'll buy another stick to see.

John

keith-236785 08:42 01 Nov 03

try checking that the reset button is not stuck or shorting, unplug the reset header block from the motherboard pins and try again, long shot, but i have had a problem with this after my nephew (punched the case), worth a try mate.

good luck

john 14:31 02 Nov 03

I have now started from scratch and reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled XP Pro and service pack 1, messed around on the desktop for ages and installed some utilities that go with the motherboard, no problems. Left the system running for ages and still no problems.
Think it's fixed? no chance!
Tried to install the drivers for my graphics card, aopen geforce mx440, as soon as I tried to run the cd the computer restarted itself so I binned that idea.
Tried to install aol broadband software, it got part of the way through and did the same again.

The error message produced was:
BCCODE:9C
BCP1: 00000000
BCP2: 8053F0F0
BCP3: 84454000
BCP4: 00000136
OS Ver:5_1_2600
SP:1_0
Product 256_1

Clear as mud to me, anyone any further ideas please.

John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…