Shutting down Network computer remotely

keith-236785 11:11 19 Apr 04

Hi

I have a home network (two pc's),
main one with Broadband access downstairs and 2nd one in kids bedroom. both running XP Pro, main one Office2000, 2nd one Easy Office.
2nd pc connects to the internet through the main pc.

I would like to be able to shutdown the Upstairs PC from the main pc, i have tried a shortcut to C:/Windows/System32/Shutdown but when i try to run it on the 2nd pc through the network, it shuts the main pc.

anyone know of a simple solution to this, if not i will just have to keep walking up them steps.

Would i have to use PCanywhere or similar?

thanks in advance
Keith

Tog 12:46 19 Apr 04

Wouldn't XP's remote desktop be able to do it?

keith-236785 08:18 20 Apr 04

Tog,

thanks for that, i will give it a go but i didnt have much luck last time i tried it.

worth a try though

recap 09:08 20 Apr 04

You will [i think] require a script with a 32bit file to remotely shut down XP machines.

Giant68 16:50 20 Apr 04

Try VNC from click here
It's a free download, we are using this wheer I work and I'm trying to get my head round it at the moment but it looks like you can remotely control the second PC from your main one.

Giant68

Lionheart ? 17:22 20 Apr 04

Using VNC myself, you are right, you can remotely control the second PC from your main one.

keith-236785 23:37 20 Apr 04

Giant68 & Lionheart ?, i have already downloaded vnc and installed on both pc's but i dont know what i am doing and there seems to be no help file to assist.

will try again tomorrow.

thanks, if either of you can help in setting up Vnc then i would appreciate it.

thanks to all who have tried to help so far.

pc moron 01:01 21 Apr 04

Open Help and Support, type Shutdown in the search box and click on Shutdown in the list on the left.

You'll see the Shutdown command and a list of switches.

You should be able to do what you want using the -m switch (as long as you're logged in as an Administrator).

I don't have a network, but I shutdown my pc by running the Shutdown command, with the appropriate switches, from a BAT file on my Desktop.

You can create the BAT file in Notepad, just type in the Shutdown command and the switches you want to use and save the file with a BAT extension.

I think the file name is restricted to eight characters plus the file extension, but I've found that naming the file Shutdown.BAT doesn't work, any other eight-character does work.

The Spires 01:58 21 Apr 04

Using remote desktop use Task Manager on the remote pc (Shortcut to: Windows/System32/taskmgr), you can restart, close etc.

keith-236785 09:07 21 Apr 04

Thanks everyone, problem solved.

managed to set up VNC, i can now check on what kids are viewing and shutdown pc remotely.

regards
Keith

Lionheart ? 09:26 21 Apr 04

Sorry forgot I had replied to your thread, only just seen your reply asking to help set VNC up.

Glad you got it sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…