Shutting down the internet.

Blackcats 18:37 19 Aug 06

I know I'm a bit dim with all this, but someone told me I should not leave the internet connected when I shut down the computer. Does this mean I should remove the phone line from the computer? I thought it would all be closed together.
Thanks.

ade.h 18:42 19 Aug 06

No! Please don't shut down the internet. I really like it.....

Seriously though, if you provide a bit more info about your type of connection, that will influence the answers.

rdave13 19:12 19 Aug 06

ade.h..lol.

All I do is to log off the net then shutdown the pc as norm.

Jackcoms 19:30 19 Aug 06

If you shut down the PC without disconnecting from the 'net, the action of shutting down will also disconnect.

So, no, you need not bother to "remove the phone line from the computer".

It's also wise (and basic commonsense) to disconnect whenever you are away from a (switched on) PC for any length of time.

Blackcats 19:47 19 Aug 06

I'm on cable broadband, ade.h.
When you say log off the net, Rdave13, do you mean click the cross in the top right corner? or something more. Thanks for all replies.

Jackcoms 20:00 19 Aug 06

We're starting to go round in circles, now.

See my post of 19:30

wee eddie 20:24 19 Aug 06

If you leave your Router turned on while connected to the net. Your IP address is available to potential hackers

rdave13 22:17 19 Aug 06

So log off from your ISP.

VoG II 22:26 19 Aug 06

See FE's advice click here

However, I don't do this. Our PC and peripherals are normally on all the time. One never knows when Mrs VoG will need to access the Jojn Lewis website - sometimes at 4 in the morning.

ade.h 22:59 19 Aug 06

Amnesiac shopaholic? ;-)

Blackcats 23:47 19 Aug 06

Got it, Rdave13. Sorry, keep forgetting about the router, out of sight etc etc. Now I understand.
Thanks to all for responding.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…