shutting down

rosie 15:06 09 Dec 05

I've recently experienced the shutting down problems that plagued me some years ago, the first time since using Windows XP/SE. It seems to happen if I've been busy on the computer and don't wait long enough before pressing shut down. I usually restart when it hangs but my dealer says I should wait, even if it takes a long time. I've waited for up to an hour with no further sign of shutting down properly, and then I always restart and after this shut down normal goes fine. Is this simply because I don't wait long enough after closing all programmes, or is there something more I can do to stop it - it's just irritating more than anything.

gudgulf 15:19 09 Dec 05

Most shut down problems are caused by programs/drivers not responding properly to the shut down command.

click here for a guide to shutdown problems.

You could try opening Task Manager (rt click the task bar and select Task manager from the menu) when you have been running your pc for a while.Then shut down the programs one by one and see if they dissappear from the "Applications" tab of Task Manager(check the "Processes" tab too).

You probably have one rogue program that needs fixing,but identifying it is the problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:12 09 Dec 05

Shutdown problems
click here
click here
click here

ade.h 16:27 09 Dec 05

Check the event log for any clues regarding the rogue program or service. Might throw some light on it.

rosie 17:49 09 Dec 05

Thanks. I've done all recommended so far but won't know for certain if things have improved until I actually shut down. Thanks, anyway. I'm optimistic... :-)

lester1 23:35 09 Dec 05

I recently had a similar problem with XP shut down in the end I resolved it by running a sweep with EWIDO click here it found a worm that all of my other stuff missed. HPoe this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac