shutting down

goffin 10:59 08 May 05

Hi

My PC (Mesh: AMD Athlon 1700+) keeps shutting down unexpectedly - the fan rises in pitch and then the PC conks out.

Have run anti-virus (McAfee) and anti-spyware (MS Antispyware, Ad-Aware, Spybot).

Have run MDM and CPU diode is registering at 184 degrees celsius. This seems high?

help please before I bumg the computer out of the window!

Joe R 11:06 08 May 05

goffin,

at this temp, i'd be very surprised if your cpu, has not been fried.

It sounds like the fan on your heatsink has gone.

It is not very expensive to buy a new one, for this cpu, and it is also advisable to use a good thermal paste. click here

click here

bruno 11:13 08 May 05

Sounds as if the bearings on your fan have gone,as they get hotter the fan will seize and computer should shut off on overheat thermostat,may be too late as the previous poster said,very high temperature.

Demora 11:55 08 May 05

could also be that you psu is on the way out. And very easy to fix a new one.

I replaced my psu with a 450watt one and a new fan at the same time. Have had 12 months of good behavior in that area

goffin 16:31 08 May 05

hmmm...

cleaned out insides - loads of dust. all fans working. replaced PSU a few months ago.

i think machine could be going to knackers-yard - company willing to buy me a new one.

Ideas for a replacement (budget around £1000)?

Joe R 17:10 08 May 05

goffin,

You will struggle to find a better buy than this. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…