Shutting a CD/DVD ROM down when not in use

CurlyWhirly 19:36 24 Apr 05

I often leave a DVD in my DVD writer and what I was wondering was, is there a command or hack that will enable the motor to shut off after a certain length of time when there is no activity?
I just think it's a waste having the motor run continously as surely this lessens the motors life as I leave the PC on for long periods of time and when I am online say, that motor is still active.

I have looked under Power Options in XP but can't see anything there apart from references to the monitor and hard drive!
I wonder if there is a software program that can do this assuming that there's no command or hack in XP?
Thanks in advance for your help folks! :0)

THE TERMINATOR 19:42 24 Apr 05

If you take the disk out of the drive, when you have finished with it, the drive will not spin.

CurlyWhirly 19:47 24 Apr 05

Thanks for that. I was just wondering if there was another way to do it WITHOUT taking the disk out of the drive mainly out of curiosity?
If not it's not a big deal!

TomJerry 19:51 24 Apr 05

CurlyWhirly 19:58 24 Apr 05

It feels like the motor IS spinning when I touch the side of the DVD writer but I may be wrong as I could be picking up vibration from my tower unit's other components like hard drive, fans, etc!

Chegs ® 00:30 25 Apr 05

I think the only way to get what your after,would be if its possible to create a shortcut to "Device Manager/Hardware/DVD" and choose "disable" Without a shortcut on the desktop,it really would be easiest to remove the disc.My scanner needed disabling in Device Manager,as it refused to switch off after use,and even opening "My Computer" would set it off scanning(it was bought for use in 98se,and I had this trouble even when using the HP driver actually for XP)I never got round to looking up info on creating a shortcut to enable/disable it. :-)

DieSse 00:32 25 Apr 05

I agree - They don't spin after a short period of no useage.

CurlyWhirly 08:12 25 Apr 05

Thanks to everyone for their advice and after reading the above comments I have decided to carry on with what I have been doing now i.e. just remove the disc!

Chegs ® 12:56 25 Apr 05

Just found this,if its any use...

Start/Run/devmgmt.msc - brings up device manager... useful for looking for those little yellow exclamation marks and question marks

If you create a new shortcut with this label,you can click straight to Device Manager.

CurlyWhirly 20:41 26 Apr 05

Cheers Chegs. Your shortcut worked a treat!

MONTYBLUE 21:58 26 Apr 05

if you are running windows xp and you like to leave your computer running for any length of time then all you have to do is put the computer on stanby when you log out of windows this parks your hard drive heads and should turn off your dvd
when you want to restart the computer just press the space bar and hey presto you are back where you left off and no worse for wear excuse the pun?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…