Shuting down XP

scan513 15:41 13 Dec 04

My question is: does the following just shut down windows or does it shutdown your computer?

Right click on your desktop A dropdown menu will appear. Point your mouse cursor at New. Another dropdown menu will appear. Click on Shortcut.

In the Create Shortcut Wizard box, click your mouse cursor in the Type the location of the item panel. Type shutdown -s -t 01 and then click on the Next button.

In the next window, click your mouse cursor in the Type a name for this shortcut panel. Type in a suitable name for your shortcut then click the Finish button.

vaughan007 16:09 13 Dec 04

"shutdown -s -t 01" just shuts down Windows not your PC. At least on most systems.

"Shutdown -r -t 01" restarts your computer.

scan513 16:12 13 Dec 04

Thanks vaughan007

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:12 13 Dec 04

On mine XP pro Athlon1.2 ECS board it:

closes all programs

shuts down windows

powers off the PC

spikeychris 16:13 13 Dec 04

The above is true, hovever chage "shutdown -s -t 01" to "shutdown -s -t 0" and the machine will shutdown.

recap 16:16 13 Dec 04

You can always make sure that the computer is turned off.

To do this, Launch the Control Panel Power Management applet. Press the Advanced tab and change the setting "When I press the power button on my computer" to Do Nothing.

Once this has been completed the only option for shutting down the computer is via Start/Shut Down Command.

spikeychris 17:22 13 Dec 04

Just to add, in the shortcut option hit the F12 key (or whatever) and it will shutdown with one button press.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…