SHUTDOWN WIN 2000

frederick-285905 11:56 17 Aug 05

FOR A WEEK NOW MY WIN 2000 REBOOTS AFTER THE SHUTDOWN COMMAND. THE ONLY WAY TO SHUTDOWN IS THE POWER SWITCH. CAN ANYONE PLEASE ASSIST IN MY TURNOFF PLIGHT. THANKS

johnnyrocker 12:01 17 Aug 05

capitals indicate shouting,any new soft/hardware? what were you doing prior to first instance?

johnny.

Megatyte 12:01 17 Aug 05

Are you sure that the drop-down has Shut down selected and not Restart?

AH

Diemmess 13:23 17 Aug 05

Have you tried Control+Alt+Delete and selecting Shutdown? Does that work?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:08 17 Aug 05
  Megatyte 02:52 18 Aug 05

IT Guy on your second link obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

Quote - "My second response is a question: why would you install Windows2000? I would recommend you install WindowsXP Professional"

Windows 2000 is the most stable Windows OS to date. XP is the biggest load of crap since ME. MIcrosoft based XP on 2000 and then filled it with rubbish that no one wants.

I've been using 2000 Pro now for 2 years and NEVER had a crash. How many XP users can say that?

AH

Luigimario5000 08:31 18 Aug 05

I'm windows me and I have had a crash almost every week since a got this computer last year!

Phphred 09:11 18 Aug 05

Important information about current security risks.

--- Mytob (Zotob) Worm Alert! ---

The latest variants of the Mytob worm use a vulnerability in the Windows Plug&Play interface to infect Windows systems. a-squared detects the worm as Net-Worm.Win32.Mytob.cd, Mytob.cf, Mytob.ch and its automatically installed backdoor trojan as Backdoor.Win32.IRCBot.et. Online newspapers usually use the name Zotob-Worm.

The vulnerability mainly affects Windows 2000, but may be used to exploit Windows XP and 2003 Servers too, Microsoft says. Windows 98 and ME systems are not affected.

Once active, the worm downloads an IRC backdoor trojan from the internet which is used to remotely control the computer.

Protection:

Ensure, that you have already applied the Windows patch with the number KB899588 with your system. You can download the patch on the Microsoft website or use the automatic Windows-Update to install it automatically.

KB899588: click here
Windowsupdate: click here

a-squared Free users are advised to run the online update, to be able to remove the worm if the computer becomes infected.

a-squared Personal users are protected, even if they don't have the latest online updates installed. The new IDS technology of the background guard immediately detects and blocks the worm with the behavior analysis if it manages to run.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017