Shutdown & restart problem

guy3744 12:12 30 Jan 04

Hi,
I have a major problem with my pc - celeron 1.1 w98-2. A while ago it stopped shutting down properly, and would re-start every time I shut down. I have used win optimiser to look for errant registry entries etc.
I have downloaded & installed a MS windows patch recommended on this site, but both had no joy.
I was then advised (?) to reload windows. THis didn't help as the problem still exists - and now the display is stuck at 640*480 and 16 colours, and will not be changed from that setting...
Every time I shut down it immediately starts up again and goes thru a scan disc routine unless cancelled - not just the short one, but the full scan looking for bad clusters. I left it running and it took 13 hrs (overnight)to find no bad clusters.

I'm clean out of ideas. CAn anyone help?
Thanks.

guy3744 12:30 30 Jan 04

Have also disabled fast shut down - that didn't help either.
G.

johnnyrocker 12:43 30 Jan 04

try this, might help.

johnny.

With Win98 boot your computer and keep tapping F8 until you get a menu. Choose Safe Mode Command Prompt Only and press Enter. When you get to the C:\ prompt type scanreg /restore and press Enter. You will then get a list of dates of previous boots. Choose a date before the problem ocurred and press Enter. and reboot.

guy3744 13:31 30 Jan 04

Hi Johnny,
Tried this - however no luck. There are only 4 entries in the list - the earliest is still after the problem started.
Ev en so, I tried it as it was b4 the monitor changed it's settings, but I had error message saying 'restore failed'
Anyone got any other ideas?
Thanks, Guy.

guy3744 13:31 30 Jan 04

Hi Johnny,
Tried this - however no luck. There are only 4 entries in the list - the earliest is still after the problem started.
Ev en so, I tried it as it was b4 the monitor changed it's settings, but I had error message saying 'restore failed'
Anyone got any other ideas?
Thanks, Guy.

guy3744 14:48 30 Jan 04

Have again tried changing settings in Control panel as per other links in the helproom, but nothing seems to help....

Anybody out there with thoughts or advice?

Clint2 15:03 30 Jan 04

Try this site click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…