Shutdown and Restart Gone

SpookTheBlackCat 18:30 02 Sep 07

Can anyone help resolve my problem. The menus above have dissappeared from my PC, as have Start , Run and some others. If I hit Cntrl Alt Del, the only options are Logoff, the rest being greyed out. I have tried Safe Mode, Restore, and it comes back saying unable to change the PC settings. I have installed and updated Norton and ran full scan , but still no fix. It is OK if I create a new user and log on as that, but there must be a known solution somewhere......help.......

jimv7 18:35 02 Sep 07

Try a system restore to before it started.

SpookTheBlackCat 18:37 02 Sep 07

Tried that as well ..it still does not Restore the PC, thanks anyway

brundle 18:40 02 Sep 07

Which version of XP & what is the precise wording of the error message ? Does it mention Group Policy?

SpookTheBlackCat 19:20 02 Sep 07

Thnaks Beta, but how do I get into the registry if I don't have Start Run Regedit?

QuizMan 19:28 02 Sep 07

Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard while pressing E. This bring up Explorer and Regedit is in the C:\Windows folder.

SpookTheBlackCat 18:54 03 Sep 07

Thanks for that guys. I now have the Shutdown and Restart options, but still require the Start Run which is not there. By the way Beta, when I tried Windows R it says Im not allowed to do that due to restictions on this PC, but I got in via Quizmans option. I have also since found out that I have been infected by the Hackman.root virus, which I am currently find a solution for.

SpookTheBlackCat 21:12 03 Sep 07

Thanks to all for your help. Problem solved using Spyware Doctor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now