conwyman 20:18 PM 13 Jul 11

Hi I have windows xp sp3 on my computer. It is slow at booting up and it wont shut down It goes up to saving your settings then does nothing It as no spyware or adware and it as been scanned for virus none found I have tried everything possable can anyone help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:43 PM 13 Jul 11

Shutdown problems

Cut down on the programs that load at start up -- Start - Run type msconfig - start up tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

conwyman 22:15 PM 13 Jul 11

Thanks for your reply I have unticked everything at startup expect for antivirus and atispyware but it still doesnt shut down it will shut down in safemode so something isnt closing in normal mode

Devil Fish 22:30 PM 13 Jul 11

sounds like you may have a bad driver

click start right click my computer then device manager check for any yellow exclamation marks

may also be worth checking event viewer in the control panel go to Administrative tools and then event viewer and look for eerors

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:30 PM 13 Jul 11

Have you clicked on the blue links in my previous post?

they will take you to site giving many explanations and cures for slow shutdowns

Les28 10:15 AM 14 Jul 11

If you haven't sorted it out yet, maybe windows user profile hive cleanup service will help if you are getting errors 1517 or 1524 in Event Viewer Appication log.

How to use Event Viewer, start reading from Instructions 1.

link text

UPHC service from microsoft, if you are getting them errors

link text

woodchip 11:12 AM 14 Jul 11

If task manager will come up when you click ctrl+al+del, check Applications and Processors to see what is stopping it by shutting things down, until windows closes

lotvic 12:30 PM 14 Jul 11

I agree with Les28. I had the shutdown problem and installing UPHC has fixed it for me - no more problems with shutdown hanging.

conwyman 20:49 PM 14 Jul 11

HI Thanks for your help tHE PROBLEM WITH SHUT DOWN is when it is saving setting it does nothing yet it shuts down ok in safe mode tried everything any more ideas?

lotvic 23:48 PM 14 Jul 11

"tried everything"

Are you saying that it still hangs even though you have installed the UPHC service?

woodchip 11:34 AM 15 Jul 11

I suggest you turn off Restore, this will lose restore points. Then turn it back on and create a new restore point. Then try shutting down

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Steve Albini's notorious email is now a punchy music video

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…