shutdown problems

dan12 11:24 02 Jan 06

Hi,
On closing down windows me, normally it would play the windows closing down tune then a screen would appear telling me it is now safe to switch off machine.
sometimes on closing down i get the closing down tune but don't receive the screen telling me to switch off, i just get a blank sreen with a flashing - minus in the top left hand side and the only way to switch off is to hold the power button in for 4 seconds or switch off at the wall.
As mentioned this problem happens occasionally and on start up because it didnt close down properly it goes through scan disc then restore d/top.
Thanks in advance

VoG II 11:43 02 Jan 06
  dan12 12:44 02 Jan 06

Many thanks Vog
for your response.
will check this out later.

dan12 17:39 02 Jan 06

Microsoft has formally acknowledged that there is a shutdown and restart problem in Windows Millennium. In email correspondence, Microsoft particularly cited an inability for Win ME to force all running programs to shut down in preparation for a system restart or shutdown. Here are the most promising approaches for resolving shutdown problems unique to Win ME:

UPDATE YOUR DEVICE DRIVERS
Many hardware manufacturers have never written device drivers for Win ME. Others did eventually create them, but too late for inclusion on the Win ME CD. There are many instances where improved drivers have resolved shutdown problems that resulted from hardware hangs. In fact, this is probably the single most common solution to the Win ME shutdown problem.

Think it a process of ilimination.
thought this would be usefull anyone with same problem.

mbp 13:29 13 Jan 06

Try running your MS Error Checking for you disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now