Shutdown Problems

big_papa_boogaloo 16:02 03 May 04

i have a problem with my computer swithcing off. i am using windows 98 se, and whenever i want it to shut down, it doesnt.
it goes through all the normal procedures but when it gets to turning off, it automatically switches it self back on. i dont even press the button and this happens. if i switch off the power from the psu (main switch at the back) for a few hours and start the computer, then switch it off, it goes back to normal but if i use it again, the same thing happens.

Old Shep 16:27 03 May 04

Is this a new problem just started.Have you installed anything new to cause this.

big_papa_boogaloo 16:50 03 May 04

i have installed games but uninstalled them cos by brother was getting to addicted to them.

big_papa_boogaloo 16:54 03 May 04

sorry forgot to say, yes it is a new problem, started on 30/04/04, my sister was using it at the time to do some uni work. she tried to shut it down but this problem occured. could it be a virus cos i am getting a lot of spam with viruses but are deleted with norton antivirus 2000. whenever an email with a virus comes, it tells me and asks me what to do, it doesnt open the emails. i choose to delete the email from my computer. could this be the problem?

keith-236785 18:17 03 May 04

Norton anti virus (if it is the one from the motherboard CD ) can cause this to happen. try this,

1. disconnect fully from the internet (i mean unplug the modem)

2. shutdown Norton anti-virus, accept all warnings about protection

3. try to shutdown your pc as normal.

if it shuts down ok then it is norton conflicting with windows 98SE.

if this is the case, you will have to visit Nortons web site and search for a patch to stop this happening.

if the above doesnt work, you may have to Uninstall Norton to try, if you do and have paid for Norton, make sure you take a note of your serial number so you can re-install later.

another thing that could stop windows closing, is a faulty sound file (windows exit sound).

if you want to try without the shutdown sound, open my computer/control panel/sounds

somewhere in there is the option to select system sounds. Remove the shutdown sound, ok and try a shutdown.

It could also be a virus or trojan stopping your system from closing

to check for trojans click here and download the 30day trial, install and scan ALL hard drives. report back if it finds something.

good luck

keith-236785 18:22 03 May 04

It could be the reset button that is sticking, try tapping gently with your knuckle around the button. i have had this happen, but it just kept re-starting. worth a try though.

other thing is in power management

control panel/power options, there is a setting for what you want your computer to do on a bad shutdow (power cut, accidental switch off etc...)

make sure this is set to "shutdown" & not "restart".

good luck

GaT7 18:52 03 May 04

Here are a few more things to try or t'shoot if still not solved after trying paperman27's suggestions:

Problems Shutting Down Windows 98SE - click here &
How to Troubleshoot Windows 98SE Shutdown Problems - click here.

Cuddles 19:24 03 May 04

Have alook here click here;EN-GB;202633

Cuddles 19:26 03 May 04

click here;EN-GB;202633 try this link other one did not seem to work.

Cuddles 19:27 03 May 04

click here;en-gb;w98 try here and click on shutdown problem

Cuddles 19:29 03 May 04

Dont know why these links are not working, perhaps they will wake up later

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…