Shutdown problem Hardware failing?

KJ823 23:04 29 Nov 05

Hi

I have been suffering a long series of problems recently such as programs not responding, crashes, fatal exceptions etc and Office also became corrupted recently following a crash so Word is no longer usable. Also, from time to time when shuting down, the screen goes blank but the processor then starts a series of fast high pitched beeps. The only way it is switch off but scandisc runs next time I start up.

Recently it has started doing this almost every time I close down yet it closes OK if I am in safe mode. I am running Windows 98SE.

I was wondering if this could be a sign that a hardware component is starting to fail.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
KJ

Diemmess 10:02 30 Nov 05

I don't think there is a hardware problem severe as it is.
If the machine behaves in safe mode, this suggests corrupt driver/s or major OS bother.
With 98SE, improper shut down always results in a scolding and the scandisk routine.

I am less certain about the bleeps which if they occur, do so early on boot-up. If you know what your BIOS is - Megatrends, AMI and so on you can try Google for error codes and see what is suggested for your BIOS.

About 3 years ago on this forum, scarcely a day went by without someone suggesting the drastic option of Format and a fresh installation.
Obviously that is not to be undertaken lightly and needs all the motherboard drivers as well as a lot of work installing all your applications again.
Dont forget to copy all data to somewhere safe if you choose the format option because it will wipe you disk clean of everything.

It is just possible that you have a virus or some malware which is wrecking the system, but without more idea of your hard disk/s whether you have more than one drive or not, it is difficult to offer more ideas.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:06 30 Nov 05

1. check for virus and malware

Anti Virus :-
Antivir click here
Avast4 click here
AVG antivirus click here
Microworld click here

Individual virus removers:_
Bitdefender click here
Stinger click here

Antivirus on line checks:-
Panda click here
Trend Online Check click here
symantec click here
- click here
- click here
- click here
- click here
- click here
- click here
- click here

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
MSoftAntispy Beta click here
Ewido click here

CW Shredder click here
Purity Scan removal click here
Incredifinf removal click here

Antidialer click here

highly recommended
Avast or AVG
MsAntispy - AdAware - Spyware blaster- A2 for trojans

2. Crashes and Beeps could be a memory problem Memory Test
click here run from floppy

3. Is your hard drive getting full? Crap Cleaner click here to clear temp files and rubbish from the hard drive

KJ823 18:43 30 Nov 05

Hi Diemmess and Fruit Bat

Many thanks for your replies.

I am not at all technical so cannot tell you the details of my drives other than I only have one!
The Bios beep at start up is a single beep as it always has been,the "new" beeps are only on shutdown.

I am trying Fruit Bats links to check for viruses and spyware.

Thanks
KJ

Diemmess 09:44 01 Dec 05

That was the answer I wanted to know. If you have only one hard drive (C:) then it keeps things simple.
It might be sensible to burn a CD with every bit of data you have on your HD, just in case things get a bit out of hand while dealing with this problem.

The beep situation is unusual and I worded it badly, meaning to underline that beeps usually occur at the beginning, during the (P)ower (O)n (S)elf (T)est, or not at all.

It looks more and more as though some malware is lurking there. If Fruit Bat /\0/\ list of things to do doesn't cure it, you may eventually have to apply "the baby as well as the bathwater solution", but while that clears everything, Format and a fresh installation is a brutal way to go and takes ages.

KJ823 18:03 01 Dec 05

Hi again Diemmess!
Glad I came up with the right answer!
I have already copied everything I need to CD just incase everything packs in suddenly.
I have used several of Fruit Bat's links but no virus was found. There was one instance of spyware that was removed and several others that were shown as cookies and it seemed OK to leave them from what was said [must confess I know little about any of this though!].
You mentioned Malware....is there one of the links above that particularly deals with this? Sorry to be dense.
KJ

Diemmess 18:32 01 Dec 05

Malware, when I use the word, is my cover for every sort of unhelpful and malicious software.

Amazing transformations can be done by searching in every corner and checking the O.S. itself for worries, but I'm going to stick with my original nasty suggestion to Format and to a fresh Win98SE install.

You have your data safe, make sure you have the drivers for anything on your mobo (Video, sound and so on) put that on a CD too, and you are ready

..............Unless someone comes up with a less drastic answer.

woodchip 18:35 01 Dec 05

I think this may be faulty Ram creating corruption or OverHeating CPU check CPU fan

KJ823 18:36 01 Dec 05

Hi

Thanks for all your help. I do think I will end up having to take the drastic route but I'll hang fire for a short while just incase anyone else does have any other suggestions!
Thanks again
KJ

KJ823 18:38 01 Dec 05

Thanks Woodchip
This is a little beyond me so I can feel a trip to the repairman coming on! My PC is 5 years old though so I am not sure it's worth throwing much money at it......hubby doesn't seem keen to buy me a new one though!
Thanks again
KJ

woodchip 18:41 01 Dec 05

If you was near I would have a look for you. I am at Penistone Nr Sheffield

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant