Shutdown issue with XP

ChrisP 14:37 26 May 03

This is not a major problem but I would like to resolve it.

When I go to Start/Turn Off Computer I get the usal three icons in the middle of my screen, giving me the choice of stand-by, shut-down or restart. If I want to restart, for example, I then click on restart. The screen flickers and one or two programs go from the tray but the main desktop screen remains unchanged. If I click Start/Turn Off Computer again within a second or so, I get the three icons but they flash on and immediately off. I then click Start/Turn Off Computer again, get the three icons and click on Restart. The computer responds perfectly. The same is true if I want to close down or stand by.

Removing ZoneAlarm first makes no difference. I realist that this may be a conflict issue and can go through all the various steps, but does anyone have any bright ideas about this problem which does not appear on the Windows Knowledge Base?

VoG™ 15:30 26 May 03

I'm not sure if click here covers your specific problem but it is a riveting read.

ChrisP 16:01 26 May 03

Many thanks for this suggestion. I have looked at this before as well as all previous correspondence on this forum (as far as the search will let me. I can find nothing similar to what I have. I get no error messages (or any other messages) and can easily shut down (or whatever) - I just have to do the operation twice a few moments apart. I have tried closing all the applications in the systray but to no effect.

Has anyone else had this behaviour?

Audeal 18:58 26 May 03

ChrisP. I have been getting this same problem with XP Pro. Whenever I select Close/Reboot it will close some of the icons in the Taskbar and then stop. I then have to click on Close/Reboot again before it will then do what I want. There are ocations when it responded with a window asking me for a Password. I click Cancel and it then reboots, even if I clicked Close.

I have tracked the trouble down to a file which must conflick with windows. This may not be the cause of your problem, but it is mine.

I have found that when I close "Ad-watch monitoring" from the task bar then it will close/reboot without a hitch. Add-watch is part of the "Add-Aware 6 Plus" Program and places an icon on the taskbar. If you have this program installed then I suggest you check this one first.

So this could mean that you may have a conflict someware. Try closing each program down, that is in your taskbar, in turn and rebooting after each attempt to find out if there is a conflict there. If not then you will need to look elsware for an answer.

I hope this is of help to you. Audeal.

ChrisP 22:56 26 May 03

Thanks for your comments. I was hoping to avoid having to go through msconfig, etc., to find the potential conflict. I do have Adaware but run it from an icon, not at Start-up, so it's not that in my case.

I have never yet had any message or request for passwords, etc. I've tried closing everthing in the systray (bottom right, by the clock)in turn but nothing helps there. Quite a few of these icons do close on first attempt to close down but not all. This seems to be reproducible.

powerless 23:02 26 May 03

Start > Run > Copy and Paste:

Click ok and have a look at the SYSTEM and APPLICATION logs for ERROR (in red) have a look at the info within the log and if there is a link at the end of the log click it and there maybe a possible fix.

ChrisP 01:13 27 May 03

This is a useful tool - new to me. But no dice on this occasion, I'm afraid. The links are just back to the Windows main site which I have tried before. But this could be very useful in the event of serious problems in the future. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…