Shutdown freezes when 2 users logged on

The Belarussian Mafia 12:35 04 Nov 06

For the last couple of months my PC has been locking up when we try to log off or shutdown whenever another user has been left logged on (i.e. after switching users). What is the solution?

Jackcoms 13:01 04 Nov 06

This may cure it.

1- Start/Run and type Regedit
2- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CURRENT CONTROL SET/CONTROL
3- Click on “Control”
4- Select “Wait to kill service timeout”
5- Right click and select “Modify”
6- Set to a lower value than 2000
7- A setting of 200 will be sufficient

Normal setting is 2000 but can safely be reduced to 200 for a quick shutdown. Sometimes in PCs, including my own, an extra nought is added on to make it 20000. Not sure why this happens but when it does it leads to a very long shutdown time.

The Belarussian Mafia 13:11 04 Nov 06

Thanks! Have done this & will now try it out...

Jackcoms 13:13 04 Nov 06

You might also try a clean up with click here and defragging the HDD.

The Belarussian Mafia 14:03 04 Nov 06

Jackcoms: quality answer. Fixed. The figure had jumped to 20000 as you suggested.

I can't help wondering why this happened. My suspicion was that Dragon Naturally Speaking had caused the problem, as it seemed to begin when this had been left running on another user's account. Who knows? In any case, thereafter the problem occurred even when 'DNS' had been closed.

Thanks for the tip about a cleanup. (In the old days I used to use Norton SystemWorks, but the annual fee became extortionate & I hadn't replaced it until just recently when I downloaded (& paid £12 for) System Mechanic from the Zone Alarm website - so these issues are now dealt with.)

PS Please take a peak at my next question - to be listed in about 2 minutes!...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac