Shut down time is an age!

dave_johnston2k 02:37 01 Dec 04

Guys

My shutdown time is so long. Just reinstalled Windows thought this would help but I was wrong. Any ideas?

Cheers
Dave

Djohn 02:55 01 Dec 04

Are you using XP and is the shutdown hanging at "Windows is shutting down" message?

dave_johnston2k 03:03 01 Dec 04

Thats the one buddy...any suggestions?

Djohn 03:07 01 Dec 04

Yep! Back in a Mo!

Djohn 03:11 01 Dec 04

Start/run and "TYPE"

REGEDIT

From here on be very careful not to make any changes unless you feel sure of what you are doing.

Look in the left-hand pane of the two panes on show. Click on all the "-" sign's to collapse your folder tree back as far as it will go.

Now all that should be showing is "My Computer" Icon with a + sign to the left of it.

Click on the + sign

Scroll down to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Click on the + sign to expand that folder.

Scroll down to the SYSTEM folder and click on the + sign to expand.

Scroll down to the "Current control set" and click on the + sign to expand.

Scroll down to the "Control" folder and click on the folder itself.

Now look to the right-hand pane of the window and you will see.

"Wait to kill service" Icon.

Right click on that Icon, from the drop-down menu choose.

Modify.

Left click on "Modify" and dialogue box will open with the figure 2000 or even 20000 inside it. Reduce this to 200 by left clicking to the right of the last zero then backspace to delete one of the zero's or highlight the whole number and change to 200.

Click on OK and back your way out of the registry saving as you go.

It's easier than it sounds, but take your time and go through it slowly and you will be OK. If at any time you feel unsure just back out without making any changes.

Remember to collapse your folder tree as I mentioned above then you can start right at the beginning and follow through. Print this out first then follow the guide, its a lot easier than it first looks.

Good luck j.

dave_johnston2k 18:23 01 Dec 04

Unfortunately the Regedit didnt work...

Any other suggestions for fixing the problem? Used 2 shut down in 2 seconds...what the hell causes such a mamoth change?

Cheers
Dave

dangerusone 22:45 01 Dec 04

I had the same problem, followed Djohns instructions and my problem was solved, many thanks

woodchip 22:50 01 Dec 04

Windows is having Problems closing one of the Background Programs, Remove as Many ticks from Start\Run Type MSCONFIG Setup tab and test the put one back at a time until it reoccurs

dave_johnston2k 01:29 02 Dec 04

Windows still doesnt close...I un ticked all the boxes in services and startup and problem re-occurred. It is odd as the system starts up like lightning and reboots very quickly, just refuses to close down!

I can see why people hate computers!

Cheers
Dave

curlylad 10:32 02 Dec 04

Have a look here matey click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…